Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Basic scanners

ped

Hi guys, i bought a set of these scanning mirrors, these are the ones i used to use like 20 years ago when i was building laser shows.

I used to use a simple sine / square wave generator with lm386 amp on the output to draw patterns. Would anyone have any suitable circuits or adve on how to drive them?

Regards.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    127.6 KB · Views: 302

You should be able to power them with a basic audio amplifier - they are an open loop system. You can use your computer to generate all kinds of tones with programs like Audacity. Should get you some interesting patterns but they're not going to do text or images or anything.

ped

yeah i know their very basic...might just whip up a 555 osc with an audio amp.

Could one use a c*sio Keyboard? I traded a MT A-13 projector for three of these at SELEM and would like to make some mini projectors from them--PLZ tell me moar--T.Y.one and all--Len

laser_freak-- that is just what a i am looking for --much appreciated -- thnx for sharing-- great..rep to you sir!!!

Last edited:

Morgan

Could one use a c*sio Keyboard? I traded a MT A-13 projector for three of these at SELEM and would like to make some mini projectors from them--PLZ tell me moar--T.Y.one and all--Len

laser_freak-- that is just what a i am looking for --much appreciated -- thnx for sharing-- great..rep to you sir!!!

I think this may be difficult. I tried with a Roland SH-101 to get movement out of a HD Drive coil and arm and even through the headphone output, (pre-amped), the results were poor. I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I'm missing stuff. I just saw the keyboard idea and have tried it. I think you need the power of an external amp.

Also, there are no laser diodes in c*sio keyboards. You have to get their projectors! :crackup:

M
:)

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

L165V STMicroelectronics Op Amps

Power operational amplifier. Set it up for a gain of 2 inverting amplifier. Figure 2 in the datasheet.

It will run just fine from +/- 9 to +/- 15V

This gets you down to DC, which a LM386 will not do.

Wont those laserdisk scanners ever die, I was playing with those in 1993.

Steve

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

OK, no opamps, then

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.349/.f

Stereo amplifier kit. Does not go down to DC, but will work.

Blurb.bmp is attached and drawn in Glorious Republic of Windows Paint aka Walleye Vision, if you change your mind.

(Have to see Hot Shots Part Deux, to get the joke)

Not that I'm suggesting 9 volt batteries as a long term source of power, but the galvos need a bidirectional swing and DC coupling for best performance.

This amplifier is only suitable for simple open loop galvos with built in centering, ie GAL-02s from old laserdisk players. It will not work with modern galvos.

Steve

Attachments

• BLURB.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Reactions: ped

ped

Haha superb, immediately got the "walleye vision" thing, ive watched Hot Shots pts 1 and deux countless times, my favourite movies!

Anyways back on topic, i was going to use a couple of LM386 simple audio amps, you think your paint masterpiece would be better yeah?

LSRFAQ

depends what your doing with them, if you want slow sweeping beams, your going for the L series amp and down to DC.

If you just want to run lissajous.exe and use audio from a sound card with no hacking, go for the 13$ amp.

Again, it depends on what your controlling them with.

Steve

ped

Well i'm doing a self contained scanner, i was going to use a couple of 555 osscilators coupled to the 386 amps, and just manually adjust the frequency ect via a couple of pots, not connecting it to a computer, but your op amp circuit sounds better, and looks easy enough to build?