Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Balloon pop distances ??

I'm hooked on burning lasers now... should have known better I'm a recovering pyro.

What's the longest balloon pop anyone has gotten, not using a lens? With my x65 I can pop red sharpied balloons out to at least 10 feet - is this normal?

Going to get some of those lithium batteries and see if I can increase the distance a bit.

Y

yew.sir-name

8ft or so, white balloon, black cd marker pen, new dx30mw on included batteries. was my latest pop.

My RPL-260 can pop red balloons at 20 feet distance (no lens or sharpie), I know it can do better but my hallway is only this long. It will also light a match (no lens/sharpie) at 10 feet.

This amount of power in my hand is soooo addicting, almost everything in my apt. that isn't colored white has laser burn marks or holes from my RPL.

After seeing optotronics is now standing behind their lasers even more by increasing the standard warranty on the RPL to 12 months, I had to order the RPL-325. Tomorrow I'll be waiting like a puppy dog at the window waiting and watching for the fedex truck.

I was a long time visitor/lurker at the lasercommunity forums, but can't remain a part since it no longer allows discussion on anything but WL products; so here I am, I'll be participating and enjoying the freedom of speech.

Burn baby Burn

Y

yew.sir-name

yup, i don't think it's a new wish (unlike my first) and it out brightens my kd 50mw, its my new favourite laser... until i get my 'senotorch'

may put the 30 an 50 together an see which pops fastest. just have to hit argos while they still got liths at tree fidy a pair.

laserguy --

Yeah these things are addictive. Very addictive. I think diode lasers and the products they've created are amazing. Very high efficiencies mean a battery operated device can really pack a sting. I know that feeling you're talking about too, especially waiting for the package. When I got mine I felt like I did when I was 13 and I 'discovered' my Dad's old shoebox full of cherry bombs and M80's .. the happy pyro feeling, lol.

chimo

Just popped a sharpied pink balloon at 4 feet with my bare DX30. Batteries were partially depleted (say 60-70% new) Energizer L92s.

Paul

yew.sir-name said:
i've never encountered a cherry bomb

They were my favorite. Gives you an idea how old I am. I was thirteen in the early 80's.. cherry bombs and m-80s were banned in the US sometime in the 60's I believe.. so those explosives were already old by the 1980's when I plundered them.

Cherry bomb was an actual little bomb. Had one of those thick green waterproof fuses on it, spherical red bomb body. Great BOOOM, you felt it. Wrecking toilets (flush is down) and mailboxes were the kind of delinquent things often done with them. First one I detonated cost me... I didn't realize to respect them and treated it like a smoke bomb or a firecracker. Lit the fuse and tossed it about a yard in front of me ... BOOOM. Permanently knocked my hearing down a notch or two but I still loved it. Left a little crater, complete with a miniature mushroom cloud.

The M-80's were insane - the real ones at least. My Dad didn't let me have those :mad: They were equivalent to 1/4 .. 1/8 stick of dynamite.

That was a different era in the US. To think kids used to be able to run around with those things. Now you'd likely be charged as a terrorist... lol

I got an old/boring as hell vid of popping a sharpied balloon at 40ft with my RPL-300 up on youtube somewhere. It took a good 40 secs or so for it to pop.

Y

yew.sir-name

flogged said:
[quote author=yew.sir-name link=1184679835/0#7 date=1184716432]i've never encountered a cherry bomb

They were my favorite. Gives you an idea how old I am. I was thirteen in the early 80's.. cherry bombs and m-80s were banned in the US sometime in the 60's I believe.. so those explosives were already old by the 1980's when I plundered them.

Cherry bomb was an actual little bomb. Had one of those thick green waterproof fuses on it, spherical red bomb body. Great BOOOM, you felt it. Wrecking toilets (flush is down) and mailboxes were the kind of delinquent things often done with them. First one I detonated cost me... I didn't realize to respect them and treated it like a smoke bomb  or a firecracker. Lit the fuse and tossed it about a yard in front of me ... BOOOM. Permanently knocked my hearing down a notch or two but I still loved it. Left a little crater, complete with a miniature mushroom cloud.

The M-80's were insane - the real ones at least. My Dad didn't let me have those  :mad: They were equivalent to 1/4 .. 1/8 stick of dynamite.

That was a different era in the US. To think kids used to be able to run around with those things. Now you'd likely be charged as a terrorist... lol
[/quote]

cherry bombs are obsolete in the us? oh how american shows and cartoons have lied to me. i've always wanted to flush a cherry bomb, closest i've got was a banger (weak ass firecraker type thing) tossed into a lake. bangers are banned here, since the late 90s i think. but there are certain fireworks if stripped down... BOOM! can take out a washing machine and such. not that i condone washing machine destruction. but it sure is fun

Orr3

I have done 16 feet with my 75mW Phoenix. Can't try at a longer distance in my house. Have a video but can't post it.

With my Pulsar I have done over 20 feet because of it convergs first.

I have popped a baloon at a whopping 1 and a half inches with my focused and modded leadlight.

And about the M80's, I think they were banned in 1966 with some child protection act, There is a reason why they are banned because there always are idiots that will do something REALLY stupid with them. That being said they are REALLY fun as long as you are safe with it. Problem is if you get caught making them you will get screwed by the ATF big time without a licence.

Y

yew.sir-name

yup i found out about the 1966 cpa while using the goog, i recon americans have the sencond best fireworks in the world, but the site said m80's are nothing like a quarter stick of dynamite, m80s have 3 grams of powder whereas the legal limit is 50mg and dynamite has 37 grams or something. i also found cherry bombs inside the us... but i doubt they are the same ones

Attachments

• ChinaCherryBombCrackers.jpg
    ChinaCherryBombCrackers.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 8,126