Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bad Dealings with Laser83

Hey guys, as you may have saw, i was bidding for a lot of laser items that ended last thursday. The listing included a 300mw red laser, a 500mw 405nm laser, a 1 watt 445nm laser, a broken 600mw green module, and a "repairable" 1 watt 445nm laser, as well as some extras (batteries, chargers)

I ended up paying him $217 for the stuff, shipped. This was a great price. He lives in the same city as me so he gave me 1 day shipping.

I got the stuff to day. First i tried the 300mw red. It worked! I had high hopes. Then, i tried the 1 watt 445nm. I put the batts in and.... the diode was LED and was putting out less than 2mw :(

Then, i tried the 250mw green. I put the batteries in, pressed the button, and nothing. The red indicator light came on so maybe the diode is toast :(

Next up was the "repairable" 1 watt 445nm that simply needed some simple soldering to get working. The diode was DESTROYED. They pins ben and broken with old crappy solder on the pins. The pill with the supposed driver was messed up, with the driver parts rattling inside the pill, and one lead coming out of the pill.

Then, i tested the 500mw 405nm , which worked to my supprise, and metered at 500mw.

Then the 600mw green module. GARBAGE. It was not fixable. There was something RATTLING inside of it. The module was toast, and i suspect the driver was toast anyway.

Everything was packaged horrible. Literally thrown in a box with little to no padding. which leadds me to believe he knew the devices were broken.

I have opened a Paypal claim, and he has forwarded the claim so that now my fate is in the hands of paypal :(

But... I have trust in the system.

The thing is, he had rep and was a member of the forum for a couple years.

So, he has forwarded the paypal claim, but has not responded to my emails, or PMs, or anything.

I dont know what to do :p

My high school budget will not permit me to lose this money :(

Thanks in advance for your support. Here is the original listing: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/a...-250mw-red-2-sets-oem-goggles-more-87636.html

This will go as a learning experience for me :)

:beer:
-Matt

Last edited:

UPDATE: It turns out that Laser83 tried to edit his original post so that it included that two of the lasers were broken, but NO NO NO! I got a screenshot of the ORIGINAL post so now i have proof that he is trying to cheat the SYSTEM.

Video of proof here: Proof of Deceit and sign of a scammer - YouTube

It is looking good :)

You should have let the other guy have it.

karma.jpg

Well that is not very nice :(

Still doesn not discount that Laser83 is a cheat.

He still has not contacted or replied to me in ANY way...

rhd

It looks like you at least go:
- a working red
- a working 500mW 405
- a beam expander
- a couple sets of goggles
- chargers, bats, etc
- a couple old hosts
for $217 all in.

This doesn't address the principle of it, but at least it seems like you still got a good deal.

Nope, the beam expander is broken as well

The host is worthless as he ruined the contact pads with crappy solder

And all the bats are crapfires

It was NOT a good deal

I could have built the red for $40 and the purple for $110. Also, then they would be NEW lasers as well.

Trust me. I lost two 1 watt 445nm laser out of this deal and more.

Not cool

I wonder if you could show paypal a link to your video, or send screenshots etc,
I think they will give some or all of your money back anyway, what did you select when making paypal payment? "goods or services" "send money to family or friends" or an Invoice etc?

You have his address since he shipped you the stuff....go to his place and kick his arse. Problem solved

You have his address since he shipped you the stuff....go to his place and kick his arse. Problem solved

He lives in the same city as me :evil:

The problem is i made split payments, so it looks like i will lose $50.

This means i will get a 500mw 405nm and a 300mw 650nm for $50

I will take that!

I just hope the appeal for the larger part of the payment goes through

*crosses fingers

Thanks for your support madmacro and others!

-Matt

Last edited:

rhd

I'm still of the mind that it's inappropriate to ask for the full amount (less $50) back. It sounds like you've certainly received more than $50 worth. From an ethical perspective, I don't think it's right for this guy, sketchy as he may be, to receive only $50 for possessions that clearly had more value than $50.

From a practical perspective, I'm not sure how PayPal works (when it's a non-ebay item) for disputes of quality. I know they're good with disputes of non-receipt.

Putting this all together, I'm left thinking that your best course of action is to somehow resolve this directly. Of course, that requires some cooperation on his side. But maybe he could simply provide you with a full refund, for a full return of the goods. Then he could resell them, ACCURATELY described, for whatever the market thinks those goods worth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well. I am not sure how it will work. I may just lose the $50 and still have to return the stuff. will see how it goes down :)

-Matt

Wow. And I nearly bought the 532 module from him for 300$. Dodged that bullet...speaking of which, I know the module is dead beyond fixing, but is there any way I could buy it off you..?

rhd

A trick with pin damaged 445s - if you can get a solid lead soldered to just one pin, the better of the two, you can solder bridge the second pin to the case pin, and then get a feed for the second wire from the case.

Sometimes works when you've at least got one clean pin.

Did paypal change it's policy on lasers?

I thought they wouldn't deal with lasers and laser related goods due to the FDA.

A trick with pin damaged 445s - if you can get a solid lead soldered to just one pin, the better of the two, you can solder bridge the second pin to the case pin, and then get a feed for the second wire from the case.

Sometimes works when you've at least got one clean pin.

I will try this.

But it looks like the diode was aboused. There are HUGE solder blobs on the pins. Probably dead/LED from the heat :(

I will update you guys as this progresses...

ru124t

Omg I am sorry to hear this! You are correct , the listing is really different than when I put in the first bid! So sorry to hear this , I am new here and hope there are very few bad apples here! Paypal have been really good to me in the past so fingers crossed dude!

ARG

I will try this.

But it looks like the diode was aboused. There are HUGE solder blobs on the pins. Probably dead/LED from the heat :(

I will update you guys as this progresses...

Large blobs doesn't always mean there was lots of heat. There is still hope :)