Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

b-r driver

iv built a few lm317 drivers an they run my red diodes very well what do i have to change to get the right voltage for blu ray its a diode out of a ps3 i only want it for a low power pointer when i connect it to a normal lm317 driver it is bright for a split second an the it goes dull atb ade

JLSE

How much current are you feeding the LD?

Dont bother with the voltage, it is the mA's that you need to be concerned with.

iv built a few lm317 drivers an they run my red diodes very well what do i have to change to get the right voltage for blu ray its a diode out of a ps3 i only want it for a low power pointer when i connect it to a normal lm317 driver it is bright for a split second an the it goes dull atb ade

You might have blown your diode.

Blu ray diodes usually take about 4-5 volts. The LM317 is a voltage regulator so you'll wanna start off low and adjust the pot until you're reading your desired current. Use a ammeter in series with your diode to measure the current directly. As the voltage output increases, so will the current. Just make sure your battery is at least 7 volts. (or ~2v above the diode voltage for the LM317)

I recommend not using a PS3 diode. They're very weak. If you buy a PHR blu ray diode you'll be able to run them at like 70mW and they'll last a long time.

-Tony

JLSE

You might have blown your diode.

Blu ray diodes usually take about 4-5 volts. The LM317 is a voltage regulator so you'll wanna start off low and adjust the pot until you're reading your desired current. Use a ammeter in series with your diode to measure the current directly. As the voltage output increases, so will the current. Just make sure your battery is at least 7 volts. (or ~2v above the diode voltage for the LM317)

I recommend not using a PS3 diode. They're very weak. If you buy a PHR blu ray diode you'll be able to run them at like 70mW and they'll last a long time.

-Tony

If you use the lm317 in voltage regulation, the current may wander. Not the best idea. Also putting a DMM in between the driver and LD can lead to blown LD's.

Use a 1R resistor in series between the driver and LD (solder connections) then use the DMM measuring across the 1ohm res. The value in mV is equal to mA of current.

If your driver is not set up to protect from overshoot, test the current with a dummy load first. Otherwise you will end up with more dead LD's.

IIRC the max current you want to run a PS3 diode is 30mA or under. Anything higher will just cut into its life. If you want more than a 15-20mW laser, move up to a PHR-803T sled diode.

Last edited:
If you use the lm317 in voltage regulation, the current may wander. Not the best idea. Also putting a DMM in between the driver and LD can lead to blown LD's.

Use a 1R resistor in series between the driver and LD (solder connections) then use the DMM measuring across the 1ohm res. The value in mV is equal to mA of current.

If your driver is not set up to protect from overshoot, test the current with a dummy load first. Otherwise you will end up with more dead LD's.

IIRC the max current you want to run a PS3 diode is 30mA or under. Anything higher will just cut into its life. If you want more than a 15-20mW laser, move up to a PHR-803T sled diode.

Using the dummy load method will only work for current regulated drivers, not voltage regulated drivers. A dummy load will never emulate a laser diode perfectly so the load magnitude may vary. A different load under the same voltage will cause a different current.

But you're right otherwise the 1 ohm resistor method is a safer bet.

-Tony

thanks for all your help people iv orderd a phr the ps3 ld's not all that good
atb ade