Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aussie Customs Letter about Importation

tonyt

Dear *******

Hand-held devices commonly known as laser pointers with an accessible emission level of greater than 1mW are restricted imports. Kits to build laser pointers over 1mW require permission to import as per an assembled laser pointer.

Permission to import these goods must be obtained from the Minister for Home
Affairs, or an authorised person, prior to the arrival of the goods in Australia.

Laser modules only and kits to make a laser module (not a laser pointer) are not controlled.

For further information contact:

Customs information centre
Telephone: 1300 363 263
E-mail: information@customs.gov.au

Import controls on laser pointers

Form B710 - Application for permission to import schedule 2 and schedule 3 weapons

Requests to import these goods should be addressed to:

National Manager
Trade Policy and Regulation Branch
C/- Firearms and Weapons Section
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
5 Constitution Avenue
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600

Sincerely
********* | Senior Customs Officer | Customs Information and Support Centre | IEUS

Laik

I didn't want to start my own thread so i think i will post it here because it is relative. What would happen if you got a second letter from them, would you go to court or is it another warning? I wanted to import about 3 (claimed to be) <1mW pens from china because it's about 5 dollars cheaper each pen. I know these will probably over-spec so i just wanted to know what would happen if they got seized.

Gun

I didn't want to start my own thread so i think i will post it here because it is relative. What would happen if you got a second letter from them, would you go to court or is it another warning? I wanted to import about 3 (claimed to be) <1mW pens from china because it's about 5 dollars cheaper each pen. I know these will probably over-spec so i just wanted to know what would happen if they got seized.

What did customs already seize from you?

As for your question, I'd just e-mail them and find out. I've e-mailed them once or twice and they reply very quickly.

Laik

It would be a bit suspicious though. "Hey its (my full name) and i was wondering what happened if you get an item/items seized." My first seizure was a cheap <5mW red pen and violet laser module from DX (they took the module as well because it was in the same package).

Gun

It would be a bit suspicious though. "Hey its (my full name) and i was wondering what happened if you get an item/items seized." My first seizure was a cheap <5mW red pen and violet laser module from DX (they took the module as well because it was in the same package).

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, I did and my 405nm focusable laser managed to get through customs without being seized.

Last edited:

Laik

I think i will email them. I will post back what they say.

Laik

Don't want to double post but i need to bump this thread so people can see what they sent back.

"Dear (my name)

Thank you for your email.

You have to make sure that the item you are importing is not illegal, otherwise legal action can be taken against you.

If you have a warning issued first time, you have to be extremely careful with what you import next."

So that just means, if they feel like taking you to court, they will?

Last edited:

tonyt

I don't think they would take you to court over a laser. Couple of grams off heroin or a handgun.. Yes. Medium powered laser.. No.