Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Audio jack built in to laser for sound modulation?

Does anyone make a laser that can do sound modulation with a built in audio jack? even if you had to amplify the signal from the mic externally, it would be cool to have the jack built in. Any thoughts?

You will need a Laser with an analogue control input.
Most Hand Held pointer do not have that type of
driver...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Ok, most do not but are there any drivers out there that have an analog control input? Wouldn't it be cool to build a laser with one? At least then the unit might have a few more practical uses. If they were a little more expensive, I think they would still sell since you would be able to that much more with it out of the box.

So....wait....are you asking if you can listen to your laser? Or let your laser listen to you?

ah no, u can send audio through the laser and be reformed at the other end by using a photodetector. laser as a means of communication over a distance.

You could then send all kinds of waveforms through your laser and detect them at the other end. I'm sure you could come up with some neat experiments with that.

Last edited:
LOL guess people here aren't too interested in this sort of thing. Would have expected to be told to search the forums since it has been discussed a million times before here. Thing is, When I purchased my Arctic, I thought that was exactly what that plug in the battery cap was for. was kinda disappointed to find out it was just a safety.

I seen a cool DIY that involved a cheapo laser pointer, mic, transformer and batteries. you just put the mic and transformer inline with the laser and batteries. on the other end you had the same setup but with a photo detector, transformer and speaker

That looks really cool. not very high powered (1.5mW) but i guess you don't want to burn the photo detector during transmission hehe. Bit pricey. I might try building my own.

DrSid

I've seen some video on youtube with audio over laser .. and they simply plugged cheap red laser 1mW pointer directly to iPhone. Nothing in between, just iPhone audio output instead of battery. And it worked ! They used solar panel plugged into stereo set on the other side.
The sound was terrible, as laser driver has anything but linear response, but speech could be understood and you could even recognize a song if music was sent through.

But be warned ! Similar experiments could damage your precious 1mW laser !

Last edited: