Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Atlasnova does it again!

Since I recently sold my old <5mW greenie, I was in the market for a new, high quality low-power (<5mW) greenie that I could safely use outside.  I first looked at the Core, but it seems they recently jacked up their price to $49.99.  I then looked at Atlasnova, their 5mW "True Green" was also $49.99.  Seeing that both lasers were priced alike, I went with Atlasnova, since I already bought two lasers from them and their service is stellar.

I paid for it on Thursday and it arrived at my job on Monday (actually Saturday, but I'm off).  Luckily it was right before lunch, so I was able to open it up almost immediately.  In the box, it contained the metal case with the laser (satin silver), instructions and a power reading of the enclosed laser, much like any other AN greenie.  The surprise was the paper read:

S  

Hmmmm...my other AN pointer had a sheet marked "40.6".  Surely this laser couldn't be roughly 15mW - close to  a WL Classic - I purchased a True 5mW.  I played with it a bit at work.  It seemed bright but not spectacular, since like most offices it's filled with garish flourescent lighting.  So I brought the laser home for more analysis.

Now I do not have a power meter, but I pretty much know how bright a sub-5mW laser should be.  In my moderately-lit living I was not able to see a beam on my old 5mW greenie.  However, when firing this little baby, I was able to see a faint green beam despite the light being on.  Further experimentation pretty much convinced me that this unit is noticeably more powerful than my old greenie.

I then took a rough divergence measurement.  The beam was just under 6mm at 8 meters; subtracting the initial beam diameter of 1mm, I got a divergence of approximately .6mRad!

So, instead of a low-powered greenie I got a relatively beastly ~15mW laser with excellent divergence.  I don't think I am returning this unit.  It's really good.  :D

One problem - I still need a good stable <5mW pointer.  :p Thanks, Atlasnova!

haha, it seems to be the same thing with the DX 5mW pointers, I have one DX true5 that hits over 20mW when it's cool

the cores from WL however are tightly regulated at 5mW (since they ship from the US) and make great presentation pointers (i got one free from a promotion they did a while back)

Vital Spirit has some 5mW Leadlights, I can't remember the price though.

Mariomaster - True on DX, but unlike DX, AN measures the output of all the green lasers they sell.  They know they're sending a more powerful unit, much like NOVAlasers.

To the others - Duh, I know about the CORE already (read my post, please), I just preferred to purchase from a comany I already know, and that isn't a WL company.  I also wasn't thrilled to see them $15.00 more expensive than I remembered.

I'll probably need to get a CORE, since most people seem satisfied with them.

I bought an Atlas Nova Hi spec laser [26.3mw], paid 88$. Shortly after the warranty expired the crystal crack or something else went wrong. I sent it back for repair thinking all the while it'd be returned as it was. Sadly that was not true. Oh the laser was fixed alright to output something around 5mw. The moral of this tale is but a laser designed for high output and Caveat emptor

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. My 40.6mW AN greenie is almost a year old and still kicking out loads of green photons, despite heavy use to the point the paint around the button wore off.