Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

At Port Aransas, Texas. Need Legal advice regarding Lasers.

IsaacT

So I am on vacation with my gf and her family, and tonight we went outside and say on the deck and she pulled out her purple laser to look at the stars with(my girl!). I told her to hold on and brought out my 70mW 520nm Leadlight Pen and my 115mW 532nm SH032 Build.

In the process of pointing at the stars, which involved checking for aircraft, we saw in the distance another green laser, scanning the sky seemingly in response to our lasing. After exchanging pleasantries, however, I grew wary and withheld my photons for a bit. The green laser spat out a few more messages and then went dark.

A minute or two later, I saw a good quality throw flashlight illuminating the beach near the condo we are staying at. It searched for a long time, and I didn't do anything other than keep talking to my girlfriend on the second story porch. After awhile, the person ventured further out, still sweeping the area with his light. At this point I calmly asked my girlfriend if she would like to continue our conversation inside for awhile.

So my question:
1. Could that have been a security personel looking for the source of the laser beams?
2. While I kept the beam a good 15-30% above horizon, is it possible a ship in the ocean freaked out?
3. Are there any laws regarding ships as opposed to air traffic?
4. Do you think the other laser was a fellow laser enthusiast or military personel attempting to pinpoint my location?
5. Could it simply be that they were looking for trespassers on the beach at night?

Needless to say, I don't plan on doing much more lasering this trip, but I want to gain an idea for what sort of non aircraft related laser laws that may apply to those in the US, and to gain an idea for whether it was a laser related offense or a presumed trespassing offense that tripped this person(presumably military/police) into action.

Never had issues with messing up laser safety before, but having not grown up near any bodies of water it never occurred to me that ships might be out there at night.

Thanks,
Isaac

Thats pretty close to Mexico, and it is a "Port" city. Just be careful.

Not much i know other then the 'filth' i just spewed.

I wish i had a girl i could enjoy lasering with :(

Aiming a laser at any person or vehicle will get you in trouble. Minimum you will get your laser taken or you could be charged with assault.

Aiming a laser at any person or vehicle will get you in trouble. Minimum you will get your laser taken or you could be charged with assault.

Just to clear it up, he didn't even get near any person, vehicle, airplane or inanimate object besides a star/planet. ;)

Sounds to me like an officious ass to me. Maybe he was looking for you, who knows. I don't know that there is much he could have done, as you were on private property.

I've had cops with powertrips flash their lights at me for using my laser safely. They didn't try to enter my building, they just flashed me with their lights.

No other action has ever been made to get me to stop using my lasers in a safe manner.

Have a great time w/ your girlfriend! I need to get to port A soon!

Oh! Are you guys gonna watch the sea turtles being released on the beach? That's this week!

Just to clear it up, he didn't even get near any person, vehicle, airplane or inanimate object besides a star/planet. ;)

"2. While I kept the beam a good 15-30% above horizon, is it possible a ship in the ocean freaked out?"

"Never had issues with messing up laser safety before, but having not grown up near any bodies of water it never occurred to me that ships might be out there at night."

^^
-Shane

Trevor

Ehh. Don't worry about it. I think #5 is the most likely option.

Could just as easily have been someone looking for a lost possession on a beach, or someone beachcombing, or security like you said.

I highly doubt you managed to hit a ship, and I also highly doubt there are any laws that you'd have been in violation of by pointing a laser out to sea when there was no ship even visible.

I don't really use lasers around lots of people I don't know, because I don't want to wonder about stuff like this.

At any rate... yeah don't worry about it. :)

Trevor

A minute or two later, I saw a good quality throw flashlight illuminating the beach near the condo we are staying at. It searched for a long time, and I didn't do anything other than keep talking to my girlfriend on the second story porch. After awhile, the person ventured further out, still sweeping the area with his light. At this point I calmly asked my girlfriend if she would like to continue our conversation inside for awhile.

So my question:
1. Could that have been a security personel looking for the source of the laser beams?

Thanks,
Isaac
If he was sweeping the beach then that person was metal detecting.

IsaacT

He was definitely not holding a metal detector. He was only holding his flashlight, at about eye level, moving back and forth in the tall grass looking for something. He never went all the way to the beach.

Spooky

Just a thought Isaac, the best place to ask if the law has been broken probably isn't somewhere that anybody can read it ;)

Out to sea "shouldn't" be a problem as the horizon is a known distance away at sea level if the laser is at 2m above sea level the horizon is 3.1 miles away, you would see any underway ship at that distance by it's lights, over the horizon isn't an issue (for obvious reasons).

It is unlikely to be anything Military as a laser strike on a Phalanx or Goalkeeper would have left little Isaac bits all over the beach by now :):)

best wishes

Dave

IsaacT

Lol little Isaac bits indeed. Haha. hmm. That is a sobering thought.

Well, I am not over worried about asking this here. I didn't think there would be an issue, and I was *hopefully* right.

Spooky

Joking aside Isaac, I don't think you have anything to worry about, probably a rent-a-cop out looking for the departments doughnut stash when he's supposed to be working :)

best wishes

Dave

I was just browsing through the forum when I came across this post and it is possible that the flashlight you saw on the beach was a buddy of mine playing around.

He was in Port A June 20-23 and he was telling me about how he saw a laser shining around and he decided to pull out his HID flashlight and shine it around. This happened on more than one occasion and one guy even came down from his balcony with his WL krypton to show my buddy and to see his flashlight. It is possibly that he was the one shining his light around after seeing your laser in the sky. He was staying at the Mayan Princess, so you would have to have been close to that.

His flashlight:

8500 LM HID Flashlight