Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Astral Driver - Boost, Buck, & Sepic

I can do that actually, but because of the inefficient heat transfer/dissipation, right now i'm just stick to the usual rectangular heatsink-mounted-style driver :beer:

BTW, here is the OmniDrive which is currently being manufactured
Omni_Drive.png

And also a generic boost driver, with/without button to fit pen host.
Generic_Boost.png

All drivers are adjustable and constant current.
The Generic boost driver could replace the cheap chinese boost driver as it's the real constant current and also cheap :D

FYI, those chinese boost drivers claimed as constant current but turns out they're a constant voltage, only with current limit which seems similar to constant source but actually it's not.

Last edited:

A bit of a news:

Driver on post #105 is currently being manufactured.
Theoretically, on paper :D, it could output from 75mA to 3000mA, but let see how good is the dynamic range in real life :D

It's a buck-boost topology with Vin can be anything between 2.9V to 12V
And Vout can be anything between 1.6V to 12V
I.e the input can be lower or higher than the output voltage, as a function of constant current

Meanwhile i'm currently designing a low cost boost driver with true constant current.
Capable of boosting from 2.7-4.2V to about 16V. FOR ONLY ~$15 (estimated)

I want your drivers and we can talk to each other?

PM sent!
I'm unable to find you on facebook, there are many result with your name

BTW, you should EDIT your post instead of making double reply (double post)
The edit button is at the bottom right of each your post (if you opened the forum using desktop browser)

BTW, you should EDIT your post instead of making double reply (double post)
The edit button is at the bottom right of each your post (if you opened the forum using desktop browser)
You saved me from telling him the same thing...:beer:
He's been here long enough to know that...

can you talk with me on the facebook-name face book is trịnh hồng phước-my phone is XXXXXXXXXX

Not a good idea to put your phone number
on a Public Forum. If you want to give out
your phone number to a member you can
use the PM....

Jerry

Last edited:
Any chance you'd consider designing a boost driver for 0-500mA that has pads for an external analog modulation pot (to modulate current between 0 and the value set on the board pot)?
I'd really like something that works like the BlackBuck 8M and I'm almost giving up on getting my LT3083 driver to be trustworthy enough to use on rare 480nm diodes.

Building the driver is a matter of finding the right IC,
Sometimes the IC has its own analog/PWM modulation pin.
But all the times, we need to modify the feedback/set network which might be problematic if using long wire (e.g connecting to external pot) because it will degrade the output (noise, stability, etc)

But I'll try to make it happens!
Cheers! :wave:

Have to say thanks for putting in the effort, time, hassle, etc. creating these! I have much anticipation for their arrival. Keep it up!

Eracoy

Any chance you'd consider designing a boost driver for 0-500mA that has pads for an external analog modulation pot (to modulate current between 0 and the value set on the board pot)?
I'd really like something that works like the BlackBuck 8M and I'm almost giving up on getting my LT3083 driver to be trustworthy enough to use on rare 480nm diodes.

I too would be interested in that. I've had an idea for a while to build a pen host where the switch at the end is clicky AND twisty. It could be a dim pointer, or be turned up.

Lasers with external power pots are *very* cool. They're safe to use anywhere, you can make them the same brightness as other lasers for a rainbow shot and, last but not least, depending on the diode the wavelength changes with current.

I don't know why so few LPFers care about 'em.

Yep they are awsome, I’ve sold all my ajustsbles, but I’ve been wanting to build one with an electronic 2way switch pot instead of a normal 10k pot, Haven’t been able to find anything, You know like a volume up and down on a remote, anyone know were I can find such a circuit!

Nice drivers you have in here!
The only thing that I'm missing would be a continuous positive driver with the boost feature, so we could use the case positive 505nm diodes that have appeared recently with a single li ion battery, unlike the 2 batts needed nowadays to make it work with the only continuous positive driver available, blitz's linear driver.

jnrpop

Albert, Although not a boost, I believe Astrals linear EZ drive will be continuous positive, an alternative to survivals blitz :beer:

Astral, really a huge thanks for stepping up to the challenge!! And looking forward to the omnidrive results!!

J