Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Assembling a green laser

I was thinking about making a green laser.  Parts I am considering:

-O-like 80-100mW module (http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=909): $70
-Leadlight host (I'll wait until a convenient group buy): $13
-IR filter (I am not letting NOVA gouge me $10 for shipping): $12

Is there anything else I will need?  I won't pay over $125 for this build.  Also, if anybody has a greenie of similar power they would like to sell to me for a similar price...PM me.  We can work something out.

-Mark

Sounds like you got it right. Im just not big on leadlight hosts since they offer little to no heatsinking properties. I built a laser in an MXDL housing and modified one of jayrob's heatsink's to fit the module (using the same one you want). If you do go with the leadlight host, make sure you stick to the duty cycle that is listed on the specs for the module, i believe it was 60s on 60s off.

Also dont forget battery power, unless you have the correct batteries, you have to include that in the cost.

That filter says it blocks 85% of IR between 800 and 1000nm. Wouldn't most if not all of the IR leakage be 1064nm? :-? What kind of a difference would that make?

And at 25mm, isn't that too big to fit in a leadlight? Would you break it or cut it or what?

I'm not stone-set on a leadlight. I just want an easy project, because I suck at building things.

Also, thanks for the link to the Optotronics filters, but I have a problem with them. The minimum order is $25, I think, and shipping is expensive.

-Mark

that IR filter isnt meant for green lasers i heard. the on from nova is better

tony70516 said:
that IR filter isnt meant for green lasers i heard. the on from nova is better

For sure. I don't recommend getting the IR filters that optotronics sells. They are nowhere near as effective as those from Nova or Snoc Electronics (snoctony) on ebay...

So, I recently heard that the O-like modules don't fit in a leadlight! This brings up a lot of problems...how can I make a working laser for a reasonable price? I don't want to spend more than $50 on components other than the module. This would include an IR filter, a host, and preferably a heatsink.

Anybody have any suggestions for host/heatsink?

Also, will any soldering be required? I SUCK at soldering, and my dad's getting way too busy.

-Mark