Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Assembled focusable laser suggestion

I'm new to this hobby, recently assembled my first red laser from old DVD burner.

Now I want to buy another laser, but this time assembled by someone more experienced or even factory-assembled. I imagine this thing as
  • 532nm,
  • focusable,
  • burning (don't know how much power do I need for this, my green cheapo pointer won't burn and DIY red burn when focused, running at 190mA),
  • sturdy (so it won't break with rough use),
  • under $50 including shipping to Europe (the most tough one, no compromises on this one, possible for others).

Does such thing even exist? What compromises should I make for it to fit requirements? Could you suggest shops, sellers, maybe forum members with good reputation? I'm counting on your experience :) Thanks in advance.

You can get everything besides sturdy. According to my experience DPSS lasers tend to break/misalign a lot more easily than direct diodes (and getting 532nm out of a direct diode is gonna cost a lot more today). They also tend to mode hop and generally... degrade with rough use.

Anything over 100mW will burn but not easily. I believe you can get a 100-200mW under $50 from Lazerer.

If you're willing to consider other colors then 405nm will meet the other stuff a lot easier. I got my 405mW 200mW from DX (when it used to sell lasers), it burns quite well, is very sturdy, focusable and costed about 25-30 usd :)

Last edited:
If you're willing to consider other colors then 405nm will meet the other stuff a lot easier. I got my 405mW 200mW from DX (when it used to sell lasers), it burns quite well, is very sturdy, focusable and costed about 25-30 usd :)

Yes, color doesn't mean much, It's just that I like green :) Unfortunately DX is not selling them and O-Like/Lazerer have prices for 405nm 200mw well over $50, excluding shipping :(

Someone posted a link to this site some time ago, it appears to be selling the same lasers DX used to sell:
Focusable 200mW 405nm Burns Match + Money Detector Blue-Violet/Royal Purple Laser Pen (2*CR2) - Free Shipping

I can't guarantee it's the same laser but it sure looks the same. Might be worth a try if you don't mind the risk of buying from an unknown company. If you do please let us know if all went well :)

This one will also do the job, it's a better pointer than the above but the 405nm is a slightly better burner and has a (barely) visible beam, while this one's is hardly visible:
High-Power 200mW Red Laser Pen (Burns Match + Visible Beam Daytime) - Free Shipping