Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Artical over lasers and airplanes?

is there a page or artical that shows how a laser pointer wont hurt a plane that is flying in the sky, i keep telling my mom it wont do anything since the dot would be over 4 ft big and it would be like a flaslight.  I really want to see what the beam looks like in the sky but i cant ever try it out.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

It would still be bright, distracting AND illegal.
Don't do it --- ever. I'm a pilot too and I'll come down to KYA :D if you hit me !!!

Mike

wooooooolazer said:
is there a page or artical that shows how a laser pointer wont hurt a plane that is flying in the sky, i keep telling my mom it wont do anything since the dot would be over 4 ft big and it would be like a flaslight. I really want to see what they look like in the sky but i cant ever try it out.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D
Hard to tell from your post but it seems like what you want to do is see your laser in the sky NOT point it directly at a plane. At night planes have lights so theyre easy to see, if you don't point it in a planes direction there are no problems. But never point it at a plane, make sure there are none in the sky when using your pointer :)

yeah that is what i meant but still i cant because she says what if its cloudy or something and you dont see it....

I just want to see what a solid green beam in the sky is like, i got bored of just pointing it at trees.

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Switch

wooooooolazer said:
yeah that is what i meant but still i cant because she says what if its cloudy or something and you dont see it....

I just want to see what a solid green beam in the sky is like, i got bored of just pointing it at trees.

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Wow dude, just point it at the sky when she's not looking :p

Amnizu

wooooooolazer said:

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

If it's cloudy then you won't even be able to hit the plane 70% of the time anyway. Seconding sneaking out at night and just doing it while she's not looking. Come on lady, it's time to cut the umbilical cord.

no seriously she said if she ever caught me that she would break it in half belive me she would, and i dont really want a broken laser. Plus she thinks its illegal and would go to jail for it :D.. ill just look on google ill find something.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Switch

So , I don't really get how she can control this....but still....I guess you're lucky to even have a high powered laser.
Tell her to register at LPF :D

Well i guess in 4 years it wont matter cause ill be gone to college anyway.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

wooooooolazer said:
no seriously she said if she ever caught me that she would break it in half belive me she would, and i dont really want a broken laser.  Plus she thinks its illegal and would go to jail for it :D.. ill just look on google ill find something.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Its illegal and you can get arrested for it. Guess you aren't old enough to go to full out jail, but don't think that once you go to college its a free ride to disobey. That just means when you do get caught, instead of getting off easier, the legal system is gunna be free to totally screw you over.

Don't be dumb about these things. Even if, when you get down to thinking about it, it won't really do much to a pilot, it can still get us all in a lot of trouble. Not just you, not just your mom, but every whiny pilot incident just bring the impending doom of our hobby here faster. If you want to mess yourself up that's your business. Please at least have the respect to not screw things up for the rest of us too though!

pseudonomen137 said:
[quote author=wooooooolazer link=1200948827/0#6 date=1200951897]no seriously she said if she ever caught me that she would break it in half belive me she would, and i dont really want a broken laser.  Plus she thinks its illegal and would go to jail for it :D.. ill just look on google ill find something.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Its illegal and you can get arrested for it. Guess you aren't old enough to go to full out jail, but don't think that once you go to college its a free ride to disobey. That just means when you do get caught, instead of getting off easier, the legal system is gunna be free to totally screw you over.

Don't be dumb about these things. Even if, when you get down to thinking about it, it won't really do much to a pilot, it can still get us all in a lot of trouble. Not just you, not just your mom, but every whiny pilot incident just bring the impending doom of our hobby here faster. If you want to mess yourself up that's your business. Please at least have the respect to not screw things up for the rest of us too though![/quote]

No, she thinks its illegal just to point it up at the sky, i know not to ever point at any living object or moving vehicle.. etc.

...lazer.. ;D ;D ;D

Amnizu

wooooooolazer said:
[quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1200948827/0#10 date=1200955376][quote author=wooooooolazer link=1200948827/0#6 date=1200951897]no seriously she said if she ever caught me that she would break it in half belive me she would, and i dont really want a broken laser. Plus she thinks its illegal and would go to jail for it :D.. ill just look on google ill find something.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Don't be dumb about these things. Even if, when you get down to thinking about it, it won't really do much to a pilot, it can still get us all in a lot of trouble. Not just you, not just your mom, but every whiny pilot incident just bring the impending doom of our hobby here faster. If you want to mess yourself up that's your business. Please at least have the respect to not screw things up for the rest of us too though![/quote]

No, she thinks its illegal just to point it up at the sky, i know not to ever point at any living object or moving vehicle.. etc.

...lazer.. ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

It is, in the United States. Unless you have clearance from your local air traffic control and have spoken with the FAA I believe it is, you cannot shine a laser, pointer or not, into the air without incurring severe legal penalties, like several years in jail, I think.

I'm not too clear on the laws. I do know if you live within a certain number of miles from an airport, there are power limits on laser use and all. If you are even remotely close to an airport, pointing at planes or not, there's a chance its illegal. Dunno if projecting into the sky in general is illegal or not though..

*All whiney pilots except Mike ;)

Switch

You really have a crap load of laser laws there in the States.Several years in jail for shining a frickin light in the sky? :-? Politicians' wives get off more easily with double vehicular manslaughter here :p If cops were really looking to catch some of those "laser criminals" all they'd have to do is find this forum and ask each of your ISPs for your home address. :-/ Chances are that sooner or later you'll screw up and accidentaly scan your laser beam out the window and BAM! jail time ::)

And Mike, shame on you for being a pilot and not providing us with beamshots from the sky ;D