Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon Lasers in Melbourne

vk2fro

Dear forum

Edit: I made a mistake with the title - they are in Melbourne!

A fellow aussie (who is not a member here) has asked me kindly to put a post here regarding some argon lasers. The lasers are LaserPhysics Reliant 50S-488 single line blue argon lasers. He has two of them (I got the third!). They are low hours (almost brand new). This is their story:

A friend of his is a physicist and had 5 lasers in storage, as backup lasers for the ones in use in the lab. The lab sold the lasers when they moved to solid state lasers. As such, my friend snapped them up for $400 each. Rob has asked that I put a post on here, advising that he is selling the lasers for the price he got them for (he got what he wanted, two low hour argons). Since he had to buy the lot, he is passing them on at what he paid for them. He would much rather have us laser enthusiasts get them, than someone who has no idea what they are playing with.

A laser will cost around $35 to courier along eastern seaboard, more than this for tasmania, WA or NT. Not sure for SA.

The lasers are fully self contained, and plug right into a 240v outlet. They come with key, interlock plug and are located in Melbourne.

877LaserPhysics-rear.JPG

876LaserPhysics-front.JPG

They are rated at 50mw, but I have been told they do quite a bit more as they are practically new.

They are adjustable, permenantly externally wired into light mode, but if you pop the top, the connections to the interlock plug can be read off the PCB, and you should be able to wire up a suitable remote to switch between current and light modes, along with a remote pot and current monitoring.

If you would like to contact Rob, please PM me and I will pass on his email address. I will not post it here to avoid webspiders harvesting his address.

To sum up, LaserPhysics Reliant 50S-488 lasers are in melbourne for $400 a pop. There are two remaining lasers. Once Rob tells me they are sold I will update this post. Unless I am in a very noisy environment or asleep, I will be able to answer any PM's as they come in; as I have put the email I used for the forum into my iphone.

Once both the lasers go, I will update this thread.

edit: One laser possibly sold (interested party has had email passed on), One laser remains available.

Last edited:

Re: Argon Lasers in Sydney

That is so bloody tempting, I'd love an argon but shipping from the US would be insane, so this is great for me.

But I'm moving around so much these days that I wouldn't know what to do with it... what are the rough dimensions and weight of the unit?

vk2fro

That is so bloody tempting, I'd love an argon but shipping from the US would be insane, so this is great for me.

But I'm moving around so much these days that I wouldn't know what to do with it... what are the rough dimensions and weight of the unit?

bizarre - even using the waybackwhen machine to find the laserphysics website, there are no dimensions. I will ask rob to get back with me on their dimensions. (I havent recieved mine yet - paying for it around christmas!)

Their site does say: "The Reliant lasers are lightweight and simple to set up. Having no seperate power supply means this shoe-box sized laser can be carried under your arm. Reliant lasers are rugged, and can be shipped fedex, DHL, checked or even as carry on luggage." So I assume the size of a large shoe box.

Edit: They are 6.8 kilos and are L:350mmxH:120mm w/o fan, 180mm w/fanxW:200mm

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:

daguin

Dear forum

Edit: I made a mistake with the title - they are in Melbourne!

Go to "EDIT" in the OP. Click on "Go Advanced." You can edit the subject line (title) there.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

vk2fro

its even worse when you know you'll have the money but have to wait for that money to be available in order to buy the laser.... GRRR! :)

its even worse when you know you'll have the money but have to wait for that money to be available in order to buy the laser.... GRRR! :)

Hahaha yes that is annoying. And then there's the internal debate whether you need the laser or not, trying to justify your spendings to yourself lol.

Things

Damn it, and I just spent over $400US on a 200mW 640nm laser-wave module :D

Whats a rough power output on these?

Hi Gang!
Now that I'm a fully registered member of this forum, I can now happily contribute and answer any questions you may have about these argons.
A HUGE thank you to vk2fro for being so kind in starting the ball rolling and putting up the information here on my behalf.
I'm the guy who is selling these lasers. They were each tested in an optics lab before purchase and they were each reported to output more than 50mW. Although they are a few years old now, they are almost new internally as they were used as standby units destined to be incorporated in lab equipment.
They start first click every time and produce a clean, bright and tight beam.
Please feel free to send me a message if you have any further questions. ONLY 2 LEFT!
Take care guys!

Last edited:

vk2fro

Great! good to see you on the forums timelablasers - hope you sell the argons - yes timelablasers is rob. PM him for details on the lasers.

Rob keep me posted mate so I can update the first thread with details of when they sell so others looking for one wont be disappointed when they're both gone.

Rob also reports that they were properly cared for - i.e. ran every few months for a couple of hours to keep them in shape.

Cheers
Ben (cant wait to get mine!)

Last edited: