Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are there other colours?

Fertro

I know about Red, Green, Blue, Yellow and Violet, but are there other colours?
Like, White and stuff?

Just wondering 'coz I really know NOTHING about lasers.

Well as you may already know, white isn't a color by itself, as it is ALL colors. True white is every color of the rainbow mixed together. Although the white on, say, TV and computer monitors is actually only three basic colors: Red, Green, and Blue.

So so answer your question, yes there is a white laser but they are usually found in RGB laser scanners. These are devices that do laser shows and project images using laser light. When all three of the lasers are set at the right mix ratio, you get a beam of white.

There are also invisible lasers. Some of these fall in the UV (sub 400nm) range, but the most common invisible lasers are infrared (I'm not sure on the exact wavelength that light is considered infrared, but it's usually above 800nm). Invisible laser light can be very dangerous since it can still be as powerful as a 'normal' colored laser, except you wouldn't even know it if it was shining directly into your eyes. Until you go blind, that is.

I hope that answered some of your questions!

Oh, and no, there are no 'black' lasers. Black is the absence of light, so with current technology, that's not really possible.

GooeyGus said:
Oh, and no, there are no 'black' lasers. Black is the absence of light, so with current technology, that's not really possible.

LOL That would be awsome to have a black anitmatter laser.
I heard there was a gamma ray laser made but it only works for a few nano seconds.

VW

You might find this diagram useful...

spectrum.gif

Yes there are lasers at other colors. CNI lasers makes a variety, so does Crystal lasers. As for a truly white laser that does not combine RGB those are available too. There's a post somewhere in this forum about the super continuum white laser

Switch said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1212056402/0#2 date=1212073645]Laser Wavelength Charts

Edit: just to give you an idea, however is not up-to-date. ;)

Yeah, where's the CO[sub]2[/sub] laser? It has such a lovely color :D[/quote]

In that chart they actually consider an Nd:glass laser at 1050nm to be FAR infrared.....everything else I've seen puts the CO2 laser in the far IR category, or sometimes mid-IR, but 1050nm is certainly near-IR!

I think that Switch was joking about the color as you can't of course see CO2 lasers as they are infrared. But who knows, he maybe has special eyes!  ;D

GooeyGus said:
Well as you may already know, white isn't a color by itself, as it is ALL colors. True white is every color of the rainbow mixed together. Although the white on, say, TV and computer monitors is actually only three basic colors: Red, Green, and Blue.

So so answer your question, yes there is a white laser but they are usually found in RGB laser scanners. These are devices that do laser shows and project images using laser light. When all three of the lasers are set at the right mix ratio, you get a beam of white.

There are also invisible lasers. Some of these fall in the UV (sub 400nm) range, but the most common invisible lasers are infrared (I'm not sure on the exact wavelength that light is considered infrared, but it's usually above 800nm). Invisible laser light can be very dangerous since it can still be as powerful as a 'normal' colored laser, except you wouldn't even know it if it was shining directly into your eyes. Until you go blind, that is.

Actually I believe you have black and white confused.
As I learned it Black is all the colors mixed together, and White is an absence of color

But I could be wrong

black is all colors combined for additive color mixing aka paint

for light, black is no light and white is all colors

Switch

Yeah, duh......no light = black ::)

I think that Switch was joking about the color as you can't of course see CO2 lasers as they are infrared. But who knows, he maybe has special eyes!

Your sense of sarcasm is most acute. :p

And yeah I agree, 1050nm and 1064nm is near IR.I mean, comme on...some cameras can see it. ::)

shreknow91 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1212056402/0#1 date=1212065348]Well as you may already know, white isn't a color by itself, as it is ALL colors. True white is every color of the rainbow mixed together. Although the white on, say, TV and computer monitors is actually only three basic colors: Red, Green, and Blue.

As I learned it Black is all the colors mixed together, and White is an absence of color

But I could be wrong
[/quote]
That must have been some good crack... :cool:

shreknow91 said:

But I could be wrong

You learned that from an art teacher :p. With pigments and dyes you're dealing with the subtractive color wheel, so called because you're starting with white light, and colored pigments absorb some wavelengths leaving you with different colors. Mix all the pigments together and you get black.

Light deals with additive colors: You start with nothing (black) and work your way up to white.