Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are single-mode red lasers going the way of the dodo?

ixfd64

Several years ago, high-powered red lasers were very popular on this forum. The majority of them were single-mode as they contained the same diodes used in DVD burners.

While red lasers remain quite popular, it seems the single-mode varieties are much rarer now. I see a lot of companies that still sell ~200 mW red lasers, but most of them appear to be multi-mode. Even the classic "Dilda" laser is rarely mentioned these days. Has it been discontinued? Or has our community lost interest in "traditional" red lasers?

I understand multi-mode lasers are cheaper than their single-mode counterparts, but red lasers have never been that expensive to begin with.

Actually, the single-mode high powered diodes are still the cheapest laser diodes on the market. They're just nothing power-wise compared to some other diodes, so most people don't go for them anymore. Only the wavelength collectors like myself will build them and even then, only one.

IsaacT

I just ordered 11 single mode 650nm diodes. 10 of them are the LPC, so they have the classic wings, but that is no big deal. I love them for my "tide-me over" builds...when I don't have money and gotta make a laser. Also, on the offchance one of my friends decides they want to learn, I want to have cheap diodes to teach them on.

ixfd64

I've noticed there are fewer people selling completed lasers, though. Same goes for 405 nm. I wonder if it's due to pressure from the FDA.

It's because it's really easy to build a laser nowadays. The profit margin is too small when you don't even have to extract the diodes yourself anymore. It's hard to sell a laser for $200+ anymore uness you spent $190+ on it.

650 and 405 don't sell. Simply put. You can buy a 200mW 658 for <$40. Building that same laser would cost more for the hobbyist.

I once thought about making noob kits with all the parts for a basic LPC or 803T build, but I'd lose more than I gained.

I personally love them though, as they're quick, cheap, and easy builds.

Last edited:

IsaacT

I am going to have so many LPC and 805T's pretty soon. It shall be glorious! Maybe I will make one laser gun or something with a bunch in there haha.

I'm going to make a couple 12X pens and see if they'll sell. Should be nice, I plan for them to be pretty decent.