Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are powerful lasers illegal?

As my name suggests, i am a total noob on lasers. I recently read some things on powerful green lasers that suggests they are illegal(?). I was wondering if this was true or if it just a noob fear?

Freyth

Powerful lasers are generally illegal but it really depends on where you reside. In the US, I think anything above 5mW is illegal if it does not have the necessary safety features implemented, or not FDA approved.

But don't worry, some moron will probably shine his laser up at the plane and make lasers illegal worldwide.

from what i've heard, while in many countries there is a limit (like 5mW for US, 1mW for UK/Australia - though apparently UK retailers often ignore that and sell <5mW pointers with no hassle), the police generally do not care if you're not being unsafe with it, ie not shining it at planes/cars/people etc. to be safe, you could just keep it in your house at all times. but you're not gonna get 30 government agents bursting through your door, sniper rifles pointed at you, and yelled to get on the floor and tell them where the illegal lasers are :)

Powerful lasers are not illegal in the United States. However, you must understand that each locality may have it's own laws regarding laser systems. Contact your local police department and ask. In the world of information you may have access to local laws online and you can research from your home. When I was a kid I had to meet with an Air Force Major in Environmental Health because I lived on an Air Force Base as my father was in the military. I wanted to build a ruby laser. The request was denied by the Air Force because they were not to keen to me having a Class IV laser with B-52 bombers flying around loaded with nuclear weapons.

I personally own Class II to Class IV lasers and have never had a problem with the law. Issues only arise when idiots begin pointing lasers at passing cars and aircraft or setting off explosions by igniting whatever with a laser. Basically, it's the idiots that ruin it for the rest of us. By doing stupid things these people are making weapons out of lasers.

Selling operating laser systems requires FDA approval for the device. Thus, any manufactured laser system that lases when power is applied requires FDA registration. This registration is done by the manufacturer. So selling laser diodes as an individual is fine because the manufacturer has an accession number from the FDA. If you alter a laser such as up the output you may be required to re-register the laser since it no longer meets the original registration output if you wish to sell it. If you begin building laser systems for sale you may be required to become a registered manufacturer with the FDA. Other countries have similar programs such as CE, and JPA.

There are some regulations such as the 5mW rule for pointers. Basically anything that is Class IIIb or higher cannot be called a laser pointer or used as a pointing device where people will view the reflected light.

They are not illegal to have but are illegal to use, from what I have heard :)

Nano

So I am outside at night with a friend and I point a laser into the sky to show them something.... I would not be directing it at a plane... constellations and such.

bad idea? common sense tells me it would be a bad idea. but I am not 100% sure on it.

Nano said:
So I am outside at night with a friend and I point a laser into the sky to show them something.... I would not be directing it at a plane... constellations and such.

bad idea? common sense tells me it would be a bad idea. but I am not 100% sure on it.

I have done that many times and no FBI ever showed up in front of my door :)

Among other things, I'm a pilot too -- I shine my greenies into the sky over my house but I look to clear the area first. I would not appreciate being targeted by some moron either. If I'm running my RGY projector at night, I shut it off if I see aircraft lights in the sky. They pass quickly so it's no problem.

Our freedoms here in the USA require personal responsibility. Too many times, our freedoms have been regulated because of the actions of one moron. :mad:

Mike

Benm

No need to make lasers illegal - just endangering (air) traffic (no matter what you use to do so) probably is already - right?

At least here in europe owning or operating a laser is no problem legally, but selling them to consumers might be. This is purely because there are some safety requirements for all consumer electronics, and high powered lasers -can- be dangerous if used the wrong way.

Such regulations don't apply for electronic components or subsystems though, since they are not marketed towards consumers as a complete and safe device. If that was the case, most electronic components would be banned for the risk of electrocution too.

LarryQ

DANG Mike...

Ham radio....(I let my Liscence expire.. Used to be N1LCV)
My Wife is huge into Ham radio..she is a VE.., an Extra class, Has her comercial Lic, Her General maritime distress with radar endorsement, ect..ect..ect....

W1DY...(Her Name Is Wendy..kinda cool callsign)
She is HUGE into Computer Mode Contesting!!! (RTTY, PSK, SSTV, CW ect..ect)

She contests..I maintain the station...
She uses a Yaesu FT-990
an Ameritron AL-80B amp
PK-232 TNC
Rigblaster Pro

Antenna is an Alpha-Delta DX-EE up @ 40 Feet.

I'm also a Private Pilot...Single engine Land!

Cesna 150, 152, 172, 182

Too Cool!!!

LarryQ

LarryQ: Amateur radio is loads of fun as well. Too bad you let your license go. I'm also a VE with an /AE license, but I don't do much contesting.

Assuming you live in the USA. Importing laser above 5mw without the required safety features can result in either the manufacturer or you being fined. If the above 5mw laser has all required safety features they are ok to import. If you are a hobbyist you can make any laser of any output you desire because it is not within the purview of the FDA or CDRH. You can modify a laser you purchase to suit your whims without legal repercussions. You can shine your above 5mw laser out of doors without needing a variance. If you are a minor it may be against state or local law to own a laser. All of this information is available online at the FDA and CDRH sites and state and local government sites

A 5mW is illegal if you use it to commit a crime. Ask the Dave guy in NJ.

Of course if you stab someone with a dinner knife that's illegal too.

Point is no laser is illegal in the sense if its used as intended.

Go waving a quarter watt DPSS in the sky and you're bound to get attention of the wrong kind. Be responsible and careful and you need not worry.

The only thing that bothers me is these nutjobs shining them on helicopters and planes. If they do it on my street the cops will definitely come to me as I have lots of lasers on file. Waste of time and their time. Whoever does it needs a stern kick in the ass and then some. :mad:

yea i sold my green laser to a kid and he said he shined it at a plane i told him not to be an idiot i said i would kick his ass if he did that because i personally like playing star wars with my green lasers in my baCk yard and i dont want that deusche to ruin it for me