Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are laser diodes supposed to be more expensive directly from the manufacturer?

ArKi

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of building an optical system (think life sciences), and was interested in a 1W 525 nm laser diode provided by Nichia. I've found this unit (Nichia NDG7K75T) available from DTR and Alibaba for ~$200, but when I got a direct quote from Nichia, it was several times higher (almost 10x).

Why is that? Is that common for laser diodes?

Most of the time when you by directly from companies you buy in bulk. When you do that they give you better prices because you're spending a lot more by buying more diodes at once.

I'd just buy one from DTR because he does a marvelous job at preparing and shipping them to you. You can also be assured that he is selling you what you are looking for.

Also I don't think he has the 7K5T, at least not yet. But he does have a 1Watt NDG7475 which is at 520nm. I don't know if you specifically needed a 525nm wavelength though.

ArKi

Hmm, even when I got volume pricing for 100+ units, it was still 5x the cost?

Encap

Manufacturers generally discourage 1 piece direct to end user sales.
It would cost them more than they make to put you into their system so is a worthless waste of time sale unless it hits a certain number. They can use the same time to handle a customer who wants thousands of pieces.

Sta

Often, we get our diodes through chains of what one might call "grey market" transactions.
Remember, we're not the target audience of these laser diode companies - in fact, we're not even the second or third target. Nichia only accepts orders of at least 10,000 diodes... but often, people on the inside sell smaller amounts for their own personal gain.

Cel

Yeah, we only get remains and leftovers.

Last edited: