Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are blue lasers expected to go down in price much?

Razako

Title says it all. Are those blue <5mw pointers expected to drop from over $400 to a more reasonable price in a year or two?

Re: Are blue lasers expected to go down in price m

if they find an easier and faster way to produce the crystals then yea

The industry expects the cost will come down in 2 or 3 years. I know it's more violet in colour but BluRay should be a bit cheaper sooner than normal blue.

Switch

sc_bond said:
The industry expects the cost will come down in 2 or 3 years. I know it's more violet in colour but BluRay should be a bit cheaper sooner than normal blue.

Blu-ray already is dirt cheap compared to blue.

Blue DPSS probably won't change TOO much because the industry is putting much more emphasis on emerging ~440nm diodes for RGB displays and whatnot. We probably won't see dirt cheap 440nm diodes quite as soon as 2 years, but someday it should be possible to see 440nm 1mW lasers nearly as cheap as those crappy 1mW red lasers. For now, we're stuck with the very expensive and inefficient 473nm DPSS though and don't expect that to drop TOO much.

Razako

I guess it will be a long time before I see those Aquarius-type blue pointers for $100 or less :<

Best I can  offer is (2 only) LG Aquarius -5 blue lasers at $525 ea.  Warranted and brand new!  These were an experiment to etch LG's logos on the cases, They decided it didn't turn out great enough to continue.  I got one thats a Aquarius -10 and the case is fine with me.  I love the laser and think the experiment worked well for me!  As there are only 2 best think fast though!  btw a brand new (no engraving) warranted LG Aquarius -20 in my GB for $1545   :) ;D ;)

jayrob

For DIY there is hope! The blu-ray writer drives will for sure be coming down. From the reasearch I have seen, even the 2 X writers (not players), should have a 65mW, 405nm diode in there. I will know for sure in less than a week...
Jay

Pretty soon the violet lasers will be DIRT cheap. HD-DVD and Blu-ray both use violet laser diodes, and I'm sure the two formats will not both survive the next year or two. This means one of the two formats will become obsolete, and all the burners and players will be useless to everyone but laser enthusiasts.

geo-r

thebucketmouse said:
Pretty soon the violet lasers will be DIRT cheap. HD-DVD and Blu-ray both use violet laser diodes, and I'm sure the two formats will not both survive the next year or two. This means one of the two formats will become obsolete, and all the burners and players will be useless to everyone but laser enthusiasts.
I like this thought! ;D

yea violet is cheaper compared to blue but if you want a somewhat cheap blue you can always buy an argon laser