Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are any 5mw (or higher up to 50mw) models consistently over-spec ?

(I originally posted this elsewhere but think that I should have posted it here)

Hey y'all !

I have other questions, but one is - "Are there any 5mw models that can be trusted to be consistently over-spec ? (also any higher mw models up to 50mw that are consistently over-spec)

I'm a "green laser" newbie, I ordered a cheapie 5mw green laser from ebay (SewellDirect) for $8.20 (free shipping) before I found this laser forum and hope I didn't order something not worth getting (it should arrive today). Anyhow for $8.20 total it would not be a major loss even though I am on a fairly tight budget and can't afford to keep buying multiple lasers hoping to get a good one :)

I did not notice any reviews on green lasers from SewellDirect so I am not sure how good they are yet.

After reading on this forum about some of the various green lasers I am considering ordering a 50mw also unless the 5mw I should receive today performs "over spec", I am an amateur astronomer and would like one that shows a clearly visible beam pointing outs stars at night, but it would be neat to also be able to see the beam inside during the day :)

I have an old red laser pointer from many years ago that still works great.

Back when the green lasers first came out I noticed them advertised for astronomy use but the price tag was too high back then so when I happened to notice the current prices a few days ago I was surprised at how cheap you can get them for now !

I have read reviews of several 50mw green lasers on the forum here but still am not sure which one might be worth trying because some give a good review to some of them and others not so good for the same model.

I'll list the ones I am considering so anyone can give any more current pros or cons reguarding these models (and distributors) so as to help me make a more educated decision based on others actual experience with these models/companies.

I have read reviews where some have gotten even 5mw green lasers that would burn stuff (obviously over-spec) so are there companies where you can order lower mw lasers that you can count on consistently being over-spec and performing much better than an actual 5mw or an actual 30mw or 50mw ?

As far as companies, O-Like seems to be the most favored one that sells green lasers that use AAA batteries.

(I'm not saying any reviewers would be intentionally dishonest, but could there be representatives of companies posting positive reviews of their own products on this forum ?, there would be an understandable tendency to be biased in favor of their own products.)

I was originally considering Ledshoppe's 50mw until I read some reviews that their lasers tended to be consistently under-spec, any additional info on that ?

I'm also considering the following green lasers so any additional info on them is appreciated -

O-Like silver-chrome 50mw

This next one is very tempting after reading a review that it pops balloons and lights matches and it is only about $15.00, have others had the same results with this one or did the reviewer just happen to get an exceptionally over-spec unit ?

Focalprice 50mw

Here is a link to the review on the one above so you can read for yourself the review that was given.

and while it would be really stretching my laser budget to get this one, it is a very slightly possible consideration, but I would prefer to get a good over-spec 50mw for much less -

O-Like silver-chrome 100mw

Thanks in advance for y'alls help !

udanis

You posted the same thing in the reviews section.
Double post is bad.

You posted the same thing in the reviews section.
Double post is bad.
....sorry, new here, did not see option to delete other post so renamed it as DUP.

This seemed like a better place to post it in hopes of some being able to answer my questions.

Again, sorry, and thanks in advance for any help for my questions from anyone who might be able to help with the questions I asked !

....I received my first green laser today that I mentioned ordering below, see my post In the "reviews" section for my review on that one.

(still hoping for some answers to my original questions if anyone can help, thanks !)

Hey y'all !

I have other questions, but one is - "Are there any 5mw models that can be trusted to be consistently over-spec ? (also any higher mw models up to 50mw that are consistently over-spec)

I'm a "green laser" newbie, I ordered a cheapie 5mw green laser from ebay (SewellDirect) for $8.20 (free shipping) before I found this laser forum and hope I didn't order something not worth getting (it should arrive today). Anyhow for $8.20 total it would not be a major loss even though I am on a fairly tight budget and can't afford to keep buying multiple lasers hoping to get a good one :)

I did not notice any reviews on green lasers from SewellDirect so I am not sure how good they are yet.

After reading on this forum about some of the various green lasers I am considering ordering a 50mw also unless the 5mw I should receive today performs "over spec", I am an amateur astronomer and would like one that shows a clearly visible beam pointing outs stars at night, but it would be neat to also be able to see the beam inside during the day :)

I have an old red laser pointer from many years ago that still works great.

Back when the green lasers first came out I noticed them advertised for astronomy use but the price tag was too high back then so when I happened to notice the current prices a few days ago I was surprised at how cheap you can get them for now !

I have read reviews of several 50mw green lasers on the forum here but still am not sure which one might be worth trying because some give a good review to some of them and others not so good for the same model.

I'll list the ones I am considering so anyone can give any more current pros or cons reguarding these models (and distributors) so as to help me make a more educated decision based on others actual experience with these models/companies.

I have read reviews where some have gotten even 5mw green lasers that would burn stuff (obviously over-spec) so are there companies where you can order lower mw lasers that you can count on consistently being over-spec and performing much better than an actual 5mw or an actual 30mw or 50mw ?

As far as companies, O-Like seems to be the most favored one that sells green lasers that use AAA batteries.

(I'm not saying any reviewers would be intentionally dishonest, but could there be representatives of companies posting positive reviews of their own products on this forum ?, there would be an understandable tendency to be biased in favor of their own products.)

I was originally considering Ledshoppe's 50mw until I read some reviews that their lasers tended to be consistently under-spec, any additional info on that ?

I'm also considering the following green lasers so any additional info on them is appreciated -

O-Like silver-chrome 50mw

This next one is very tempting after reading a review that it pops balloons and lights matches and it is only about $15.00, have others had the same results with this one or did the reviewer just happen to get an exceptionally over-spec unit ?

Focalprice 50mw

Here is a link to the review on the one above so you can read for yourself the review that was given.

and while it would be really stretching my laser budget to get this one, it is a very slightly possible consideration, but I would prefer to get a good over-spec 50mw for much less -

O-Like silver-chrome 100mw

Thanks in advance for y'alls help !

hey. im also a newbie and just joined. i asked my older brother today to order the focalprice 50mw today. i ordered it around 4 hours ago and i just found this post. i dont know if it will be good or not but for a 50mw being 15 dollars only, i would still buy it to see how "great" it is. i hope that it will be good. look at this video here. this convinced me into asking my bro to buying it. btw it says 30mw but i think he may have made a typo. YouTube - 30mW 2x AA Green Laser from FocalPrice (Only $15!)
think b4 buying what you actually want. =P. PS O-like is a good company for laser pointers i heard so the ones on o like might be better quailty than the focalprice.

Nearly all 5mW lasers are over spec.

Most of the time they handle lasers like PC chips. They measure the output and throw it into the corresponding bin. So all the ones that hit the bottom of the scale go into the 5mW bin.

Thanks, neat video !

.....yea I might still get the Focalprice 50mw since it is only $15, but I still want to be sure first, because while I am on a tight budget and would prefer spending just $15 for a 50mw, I would rather pay $25-$30 for one that is dependable if the $15 one would be much inferior and/or under-spec.

Here is another neat video I found from a link on the one you posted - Youtube: Green Lasers: What Can Certain mW Do?

hey. im also a newbie and just joined. i asked my older brother today to order the focalprice 50mw today. i ordered it around 4 hours ago and i just found this post. i dont know if it will be good or not but for a 50mw being 15 dollars only, i would still buy it to see how "great" it is. i hope that it will be good. look at this video here. this convinced me into asking my bro to buying it. btw it says 30mw but i think he may have made a typo. YouTube - 30mW 2x AA Green Laser from FocalPrice (Only $15!)
think b4 buying what you actually want. =P. PS O-like is a good company for laser pointers i heard so the ones on o like might be better quailty than the focalprice.

Thanks, I was starting to get that impression (5mw usually being somewhat over-spec) as I did more research.

How about the 50mw green lasers, are there certain brands/models that one can order with confidence that they will consistently be over-spec (or at least up to spec) ?

(preferrably the lower price range ones :)

Nearly all 5mW lasers are over spec.

Most of the time they handle lasers like PC chips. They measure the output and throw it into the corresponding bin. So all the ones that hit the bottom of the scale go into the 5mW bin.

Last edited:
I've heard the 50mW one that Ledshoppe sells are the best for the price/onspec.

Thanks, I had considered Ledshoppe based on that same info I read on the forum, but then I read where someone else said Ledshoppe lasers were consistently under-spec.

I still might consider them but conflicting reviews can make it difficult to decide which 50 mw to buy :-/

(I'm not saying anyone is deliberately misleading anyone, perhaps some have gotten under-spec products from them more than once)

As of now I am considering a 50mw from likely either Focalprice, Ledshoppe, or O-Like.

It would be good if the forum had a section where people voted from one to five "stars" on how good a model was that they actually used themselves, then after enough votes we would have a more accurate average on how good each model really is likely to be.

I've heard the 50mW one that Ledshoppe sells are the best for the price/onspec.

I do know O-Like is consistently on spec, but you pay a little more. Rayfoss has been going down hill for some time now.

styropyro check out this website for the focalprice review.

it is true that the focallaser can be under spec but read this review first and check out styropyro's youtube site and his regular website. he has all kinds of reviews and other stuff. if you want the laser soon, you should order soon because tomorrow is sunday and monday is columbus day so you get 2 days off...

Still trying to decide which 50mw to order :-/

Focalprice is low cost but I have heard some negative things about Focalprice, so I would rather pay $10-$15 more and get one I won't regret buying, I'm not saying Focalprice would be a bad choice, but some members comments give reason to think about it first :)

My basic criteria for a 50mw includes:

- lower price the better but up to about $30 or so
- at least up to spec (preferably over-spec)
- fairly FAST shipping (like to receive in less than 14 days)
- durable, not one with reputation for failing after a month
- good customer service if there is a problem

.....hey, I just want a dependable over-spec 50mw fairly low price green laser and be able to receive it as fast as within a week or so :)

(not asking too much, right ?:)

Any suggestions from anyone that meet the above criteria ?

Last edited:
if you would like, i can do a small review about it in my point of view for you but you i will get it in about 7-14 days it said.

if you would like, i can do a small review about it in my point of view for you but you i will get it in about 7-14 days it said.

Thanks, I apreciate the reviews members write, but I hope to order a 50mw or better within a couple days if I can decide on which one to get that fast :-/