Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

Arctic Silver

Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,756
Likes
15
Points
0
Hey all,
I don't have enough money right now for a proper heatsink, so i was wondering if Arctic Silver thermal epoxy works good as a replacement. I have heard good things about it...
By the way, if you have any other suggestions, please post them ;)
 

wesdaman14

New member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
1,502
Likes
8
Points
0
yes thats stuff works great as a heat sink.
Mitch used it with my laser, and it worked great.
 

flogged

New member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
530
Likes
27
Points
0
hmmm, well ... if you used enough of it it could be used as a heatsink. It's really meant to bond a part that needs to be cooled to a heatsink. I've been using it in all my builds which are using Meredith optics to assure as good heatflow out of the diode. It's a good epoxy, in addition to being thermally transmissive.

For my latest mod I used it to bond a 9mm diode can to the pointers brass bit. I was using it primarily as a glue here, but it's also helps keep the diode a little cooler in this case. You can see some pictures of it in the mod I posted to the experiments section. Sort of the silver/gray looking goo.
 

paper183

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
220
Likes
0
Points
0
Spyderz20x6 said:
Hey all,
I don't have enough money right now for a proper heatsink, so i was wondering if Arctic Silver thermal epoxy works good as a replacement. I have heard good things about it...
By the way, if you have any other suggestions, please post them ;)
:-? You can't really use it HAS an heatsink... it's a compound that goes between the diode (or anything generating heat for that matter...) and the heatsink to help transmit the heat.
 
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,756
Likes
15
Points
0
paper183 said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1212353771/0#0 date=1212353771]Hey all,
I don't have enough money right now for a proper heatsink, so i was wondering if Arctic Silver thermal epoxy works good as a replacement. I have heard good things about it...
By the way, if you have any other suggestions, please post them  ;)
:-? You can't really use it HAS an heatsink... it's a compound that goes between the diode (or anything generating heat for that matter...) and the heatsink to help transmit the heat.[/quote]
Why not? I don't have any other ideas...
 

paper183

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
220
Likes
0
Points
0
It's just a compound... like paste, an heatsink is more like a block of metal that can hold a lot of heat. the paste only makes its easier for the heat to get from the diode to the heatsink... i really don't see how you could use it as an heatsink cause you cant really put a big chunk of it on the diode itll leak everywhere its almost liquid, and even if you could i don't think it would be very good to dissipate heat.
 

GamerBR

New member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
178
Likes
1
Points
0
paper183 said:
It's just a compound... like paste, an heatsink is more like a block of metal that can hold a lot of heat. the paste only makes its easier for the heat to get from the diode to the heatsink... i really don't see how you could use it as an heatsink cause you cant really put a big chunk of it on the diode itll leak everywhere its almost liquid, and even if you could i don't think it would be very good to dissipate heat.
Well to make it solid he could just need to add some epoxy glue(and if he has to get it out he is screwed lol).But I agree,only the paste would suck as a heatsink.
 
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,756
Likes
15
Points
0
I could also take thick aluminum foil, and cut it into the desired shape, and put the epoxy on it, and keep stacking the rings until i get a big chunk.
 

xmtgx

New member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
113
Likes
2
Points
0
Why not just make one yourself with a aluminum sheet and cut out washers (or buy washers) then arctic silver them together, thats what i do for heat sinks, doesn't cost anything (barely) and looks professional after i polish it down.
 

diachi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
9,447
Likes
1,322
Points
113
You can get a heatsink from an old PC CPU, they have a heatsink andfan sitting right on them, usually made of aluminium aswell ;)
 
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,756
Likes
15
Points
0
Diachi said:
You can get a heatsink from an old PC CPU, they have a heatsink andfan sitting right on them, usually made of aluminium aswell  ;)
They are way to big, and i don't have any thing to file them down with.
 

paper183

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
220
Likes
0
Points
0
Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=Diachi link=1212353771/12#13 date=1212528687]You can get a heatsink from an old PC CPU, they have a heatsink andfan sitting right on them, usually made of aluminium aswell ;)
They are way to big, and i don't have any thing to file them down with.[/quote]
video card heatsink then ?
 




Top