Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic S3 Spyder 637nm ML501P73 Build!

Fiddy

G'day,

So off another member i bought a Zombie Arctic Spyder, it had a blue diode which was very dull, LPM'd at ~190mW when i recived it, pretty crap...

I put the standard driver on a test load and it was putting out bugger all current, so what did i do? GUTTED THE THING :)

Here's how the host came down in parts:

arctic.jpg

The plan was to install a 16 mode AMC7135 1050mA driver into it, i also added a extra AMC7135 chip to make it a nice 1400mA.

While i had the host apart, i ordered some 0805 Red LED's to replace the standard green ones to match the color of the laser.

articledmods.jpg

Now how was i going to make the LED's work with this driver? :thinking:

I drew up a diagram:

ARCTICPLAN.png

I didn't actually use my own resistor to limit the current, i used the ones already on the LED indicator circuit board which came inside the host.

I really dislike the smart switch on th Arctic, when you have to press in that stupid code each time to activate it? Awww Helll No!, it had to go, i clipped the wires off the smart switch and put it back in the host, it is just something redundant now :D

Next i got the Arctics heatsink, put some thermal paste around where the diode sits and pressed it in, soldered the 500mW diode up, heatshrinked and finished my soldering :) almost done!

I followed lazeerer's tutorial on how to re install the arctics components without twisting the diode wires off the diode, simple and easy - twist the heatsink the opposite direction so it untwists as you wind in the heatsink! BRILLIANT!

So after all that i soldered it up as per to the diagram i made and bam!

arctic1-1.jpg

Video of it running through modes :)

I did LPM this unit, just using the display and it hit 765mW wit the arctic's own lens, should go up from there with a acrylic, 3 element glass for 637-660nm, 405-G-1 and 650-G-1 :D

Thanks for looking!

Fiddy.

Lase

:D Another great build. You sure love your 16 mode drivers don't you ;)

Lase

amazing, love the custom builds with these hosts.

Last edited:

jakeGT

Damn dude, that thing is so sexy with a big red beam comin out of it

jayrob

Nice job with that mod! :gj:

Hey why 16 modes? I mean what modes are there? Can't imagine 16 modes...

Link to the driver?

Edit: Never mind...

I think I found it here:
http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S009743

Looks like you just choose a setting. Like setting #2 for 3 modes. Low, med, high.

But then it looks like you can also make it switch to another 'group of modes'?

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Nice work!

I need one of those AMC drivers running at 3.5 amps for an XM-L torch :D

Very nicely done! :beer:

I just love that host. So the heatsink is a direct press fit for the diode? Didn't know that. That's awesome!

If anyone has some zombies too I would certainly get one :D

I just see one minor flaw at your project. When running leds in parallel. Each led should have it's on current limiting resistor. Not one for all 3. You can go with one when connecting them in series. :D But I think you should be able to get away with it unpunished. :D

leds in parallel
parallel_leds2.jpg

leds in series
FLP9SFEFX23W0A0.MEDIUM.jpg

geez man, you got a list of lasers to build? Good finds though, ebay can have some good deals. BTW there is a Krypton for sale on ebay if anyones interested(not mine)...

Benm

I just see one minor flaw at your project. When running leds in parallel. Each led should have it's on current limiting resistor. Not one for all 3. You can go with one when connecting them in series. :D But I think you should be able to get away with it unpunished. :D

Should be much of a problem with these low current leds, especially if they are all from the same batch. I would have kept the original leds though, so you can see its powered on when wearing goggles. Especially if you have a low power setting you may not be able to see the output otherwise.

Fiddy

Awesome build Fiddy! +1 rep bloke!
How's the ML501P73 1700mA build? Is the diode still alive?

It is still alive, although it hasnt had much use, ive been doing 12 hour shifts at work so not much time to play with these badboys :(