Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Apparently WL Sonar is DPSS

from what i heard a while back they harvested them blu ray drives snd thats why they cost so much. your paying for a 1000$+ player and the laser case/driver etc. this was a while back tho so maybe they dont now...?

heruursciences said:
This is the closest to a real DPSS type 404nm laser I've ever seen.  It was a SHG'd 150mw single mode 808 diode made by Amoco laser compony.  The crystal was made of PP-KNBO3. The original cost of it was $30K and the construction was not unlike as uniphase microlaser except the PP-KNBO3 was built on a mini TEC and the laser diode had it's own TEC. It made about 20mW.

Why would you make a DPSS violet laser when you could make a diode laser so much cheaper and without as much possiblity of mechanical failure (more parts=more possible ways to malfunction)?

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
Why would you make a DPSS violet laser when you could make a diode laser so much cheaper and without as much possiblity of mechanical failure (more parts=more possible ways to malfunction)?

Thomas Edison tried hundreds of different ways of making an electric light bulb before he came up with one that worked. He allegedly said that he didn't fail hundreds of times, he succeeded hundreds of times in finding ways to NOT make a light bulb.

Or, as David-Bowie-as-Tesla says in The Prestige, "exact science... is not an exact science".

Look guys I spent over half of my months salary and bought one!!! Pretty good decision right?

000_0647.jpg

daguin

GooeyGus said:
Look guys I spent over half of my months salary and bought one!!! Pretty good decision right?

You only make $200 a month :eek:

Switch

I'm rasing money to buy one aswell, I don't have a lot of money though. :-/
VillageIdiot said:
He's joking, that's a Sonar barrel with a PHR or 6x in it. XD
A DT811 actually :D