Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

APC LASER DIODE

Where can i buy theses at ? there pretty good size and would be good for building small lasers.

Apc_Laser_Diode_Tm.jpg

Chad

They're only available as 5mW diodes. you're right, though, those would be pretty convenient for DIY's if they came in higher powers.

ArRaY said:
what are these?
laser diodes with their drivers built-in?
I think these laser diodes have the driver circuit built inside the can. I'm not sure how complex the driver is because it could be something as simple as a resistor, but still these would be fun to mess with. You can get these off eBay for pretty cheap, these could be fun for making an ultra small pointer.

somebody should buy one and see what all the driver is. maybe you can put this on a higher power diode ?

styropyro said:
[quote author=ArRaY link=1217967675/0#4 date=1217970557]what are these?
laser diodes with their drivers built-in?
I think these laser diodes have the driver circuit built inside the can. I'm not sure how complex the driver is because it could be something as simple as a resistor, but still these would be fun to mess with. You can get these off eBay for pretty cheap, these could be fun for making an ultra small pointer.[/quote]

In that picture, you can see the board soldered/attached on the back of the diode, you can just see the edge of it with a tad sticking out.

Wesdaman14 said:
somebody should buy one and see what all the driver is. maybe you can put this on a higher power diode ?

A driver that small would be VERY difficult to make for a powerful diode. It would need some major heatsinking, and components that small probably aren't routinely rated to carry the kinds of currents you're looking at. Feel free to try soldering some up, and let us know how it goes.

ArRaY

yeah, but I figured there had to be some kind of additional circuit inside the diode, because it says APC [highlight]diode[/highlight]
and it has no small notches on it if you know what i mean.
Could be wrong and could be just because of perspective.

ArRaY