Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

anyway to tell a S06J from a PL450?

I just picked up a S06J from a member here and he said they is a slight (1%) chance he may have sent a PL450 on accident. is there anyway to tell them apart when they are already in the module with leads attached? Im assuming its from DTR so im going to contact him to see if he uses certain color heat shrink for certain diodes (hopefully thats the case since it'd be easy to tell)

Its in the mail so once its received i can post pictures

thanks in advance guys (my search came up with nothing other than pin layout and looks like they are the same :()

PL450B is 3.8 mm and SO6J is 5.6 mm. You can tell by the size of the hole in the module. If you meant the PLTB450, which I think is a 5.6 mm package, just run it at 400 mA or so and see what colour it is. ;) :beer:

Last edited:
DUHHHH, even i knew that one......some days you just ask some dumb questions you already knew the answer to. unfortunately for me, thats today.......tomorrow needs to hurry :tired:

Just edited the post above, in case you happened to mean the PLTB450 1.4 W diode instead? If not all good ;) :beer:

that was the original plan, to run it at 200mA and see the wavelength but if its a 5.6mm then ill run it at 400mA to tell. ughhh, feel slow today. thanks for the jump start :beer:

its bad, like some days i give people answers and im like, whoa didnt realize i knew the answer to that question. other days, like today, you have the simplest question and your brain freezes. i couldn't think of isopropyl alcohol earlier either......duhhhh just not my day, yesterday was my day :D :D :D

what is the size of 18650 batteries.......hmmmm 25mm x 18mm :thinking: you get the point :na:

using my caliper to measure as soon as it arrives :D hoping for 5.6mm but 3.8mm and i wouldnt be mad at all

LaZeRz

using my caliper to measure as soon as it arrives :D hoping for 5.6mm but 3.8mm and i wouldnt be mad at all

Just drop it in an aixiz module. If it's 3.8mm it will just sit on the lip without being pressed.

its already in a module with leads so caliper needs o be used to measure the front of the diode. i could eyeball it against my 5.6mm module but figured 1.8mm isnt much so caliper is more accurate

EDIT: or my second idea was measure out two strips of paper; 3.8mm & 5.6mm and see which looks closer to the diode size....this will be less risky on scratching the diode so prob will use this first

Last edited:
The 3.8 5.6 and 9mm are the diameter of the case. Not the can. So its the back part by the pins. No need to get close to the diode window. Just look at. 3.8 is tiny compared to 5.6 if you have handled a few diodes before.

Edit: 3.8mm-5.6mm-9mm If you have any spare modules around just compare it. It really is easy to see the size difference.

Last edited:
its already in a module with leads so caliper needs o be used to measure the front of the diode. i could eyeball it against my 5.6mm module but figured 1.8mm isnt much so caliper is more accurate

Its really, really easy to see the difference, you wont need a caliper! Just compare it to an empty module or put it next to another 5.6 mm diode. If its the 3.8 mm one you'll think, holy cr*p thats small... glad I didnt have to press that in there! ;) :beer:

Edit: If you have never seen a 3.8 mm and have nothing to compare it to you, will still recognise it - Dont panic!:D

Last edited:
yeah thats what i was thinking. the can size looks different as well so if it had thermal paste on the rear then i can still tell the difference. never really looked at diodes up close, just put them right in builds :D

also never had two diodes at once so couldnt really look at the size difference

Unscrew a lens from a completed laser, which uses a 5.6 mm diode eg 445 M140 or possibly you 650 (you know what diode is in your 650 so you should know what size it is...;)) You can then compare them in the modules...;):beer: