Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anything useful in a Toshiba TV?

Fenzir

Recently, a friend of mine had broken my TV, he's replacing it but I still have a broken tv. The screen is cracked, that is all. I'm wondering if there are any useful parts inside the TV. I guess I'll be cracking it open whenever I clean out my garage. It does not have any indication on the model on what it is, but I'm asking as a generalization, is there anything I can harvest and use?
It looks KINDA like this
Toshiba - 32C110U - 32" Class ( 31.5" viewable ) LCD TV - 720p
Sorry for the long link :/

You posted this in "Lasers - General". I hope you realize there are no "lasers" inside, lol.

No, I'm sure you realize that. Probably better in "other" or "geeks corner" though.

Last edited:
Toshiba power cords are known for their high THC content. Cut that bitch up and smoke it!

No. Cathode tube.

Last edited:
You're both wrong. LCD TVs use a cold-cathode fluorescent lamp as a back-light.

Ebay the boards out of it. They make LCD's now with LED backlights but this isn't one. It' uses CCFL.

Ebay the boards and get some cash, the rest is scrap.

Pretty sure I wasn't wrong when I said cathode tube :p

Unless you're getting technical because I said tube instead of lamp.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I wasn't wrong when I said cathode tube :p

Unless you're getting technical because I said tube instead of lamp.

Cathode Ray Tube TVs (the big thick ones) use a Cathode Tube. LCDs use CCFLs in older LCDs and LEDs in newer LCDs, but not to be confused with OLED TVs.

Trevor

I forget what flavor of TV has them, but there *might* be a huge fresnel lens in it.

I read it in an old thread... ><

-Trevor

FFS I know what a CRT is lol.

In the lighting industry, “cold cathode” historically refers to luminous tubing which is larger than 20mm in diameter and operates on a minimum current of 120 milliamps up to 240 milliamps. This larger diameter tubing is often used for interior cove and general lighting

I should have said lamp, but seriously, I know what a CRT is.....

Last edited:
your old CRT based and DLP rear projection tv's will have the big fresnel. Just pay shipping and i'll send you some. :p (going to be pricy) Since we got out of the tv repair business we have oodles of junk at the shop that's just going to scrap.