Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone out there an audiophile or audio geek?

rkcstr

I am ;D

I have tons of home audio stuff, pro audio stuff and car audio as well.

My home theater consists of a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TX receiver, Atlantic Audio Center channel, some good brand of 15" sub (can't remember which brand), two home built mains (6ft line arrays) and a couple mini Klipsch rears, along with a 37" Olevia 537H LCD TV and a TiVo with 400gb drive, then my Xbox360 and a Wii.

Then at my parent's house (my apartment is too small ATM for them) is two EV mains with 15" horn-loaded woofer and tweeter, some UK-made sub with dual 18" PAS drivers, mains powered by a 2x300W amp and the sub powered with 1800W amp.... makes for great parties :D

In the car I have a Pioneer AVIC-D2 Nav system, Focal 6.5" front components, Infinity Kappa rear triaxials (but blown :(), Infinity Perfect 12 sub in a sealed enclosure powered by a USAmps USA-300 (puts out 400W).

Then I have some misc audio equipment and lots of extra pro audio amps and speakers... been meaning to offload on ebay, but have just been too lazy :p

Don't tell me you use gold plated plugs and silver speaker wires that are thick enough to tow a town car as well? ::) :p

Jules

I am also an "Audio Geek" I have done analog design, build my own speakers and am finishing an amplifier up this weekend. I have also done live sound and studio work. My prize possession is a Nuemann U-87 microphone and a custom microphone preamp I designed, if that tells you anything... Love it!

Jules

JLSE

My enthusiasm for audio has cost me 20% of my hearing, and an annoying case of tinnitus (constant ringing of the ears) :-/

I'm running a BOSE system on my 62" Screen and a 2 speaker BOSE system in my "gym" room.

Nice setup RKCSTR

rkcstr

Petrovski said:
Don't tell me you use gold plated plugs and silver speaker wires that are thick enough to tow a town car as well? ::) :p

Haha, no, I can't afford that crap! Most decent plugs happen to be gold plated, which I could care less about, but a good tight connection is a must. My PA stuff uses 12ga wire, but my amp can also push 1800W continuous to the sub ::)

abadcaffeinetrip said:
rkcstr - now you have to post photos :)

I care about sound quality but about the most extravagant I've gotten is an external FW DAC for my computer and a nice set of Sennheiser headphones.

Yeah, I can't really call myself an audiophile, I don't have the wallet for that, but I am an audio geek ;D I'll have to get some pics of my HT setup, but the PA stuff will have to wait until I visit home next.

Jules said:
I am also an "Audio Geek" I have done analog design, build my own speakers and am finishing an amplifier up this weekend. I have also done live sound and studio work. My prize possession is a Nuemann U-87 microphone and a custom microphone preamp I designed, if that tells you anything... Love it!

Jules

I'm not too familiar with recording and stuff, but it sounds impressive ;)

But that reminds me! I forgot to mention that my DIY line array speakers (mains) in my HT are powered by an external Tripath-based amplifier that I built (the AMP9 from www.41hz.com)... I think the combination sounds awesome! The line arrays make for very encompassing sound and the Tripath amp sounds very good! They're biamped (high and low freq speakers driven separately) crossed over with an Ashly pro audio crossover.

Ace82

I defiantly consider myself an audio/video geek. When it comes to entertainment systems, tv’s, monitors, amplifiers, speakers, and POWER, I’m the “know-it-all”. We just got done hooking up a 50” plasma in the wall (yes, we constructed it so it sits in a frame in the wall and it looks bitchen….I’ll post some pictures…if I remember) and we have some huge house speakers that I have rigged to be bumped by a car amp in the house! Plus, the computer is hooked up to it, Super Nintendo, dvd, vcr, cable, xbox…

I’ve installed approximately 75 car stereos too, from head units, to speakers, amplifiers, subwoofer, dvd players, even had to completely rewire my friends 5.0. Sarcastically, I’ve been nick named “The electronics expert” from my friends. ;D

Jules

OK, here is a shot of one of my Line Array drivers. It is 33inches tall and has 8 three inch drivers and 8 5/8: tweeters. I am about to build a three way with Usher woofer, SEAS tweeter running from 1500hz crossing to a 5/8 tweeter at 6Khz, not your standard three way...

I built the rear surrounds and center channels using Morel drivers. Also have a Parts Express titanic sub with 500watt amp on it.

Attachments

• linearraay1.jpg
    linearraay1.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 869
Here's my HT system components:

JVC LT-46FH97
Denon AVR-3808CI
Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic VCR
AV123 Rocket Tykes 5.1 HT system - Sounds just as good as Bose for less than half the price.
PS2
Wii
NES
Xbox 360

You can see the 360 HD-DVD player in this picture. I no longer use it or the DVD player in the picture since the HD-XA2 replaced both items.

rkcstr

Here's a pic of my main setup:

P7311667.jpg

Oh, and my sub is a Definitive Technologies PF15TL... bought it for $80 broken, took a single resistor to fix it; good deal for an originally $700 speaker :D

rkcstr

Rangedunits said:
Why you ddin't take that HD-DVD 4Xbox appart?

Ahaha, I bought it before we knew about the sweet lazor inside back when they were first marked down to $50 intending to buy a decent cheap HD-DVD set of my favorite movies, but that never happened.

So, I'm thinking about it....

Jules

Nice line arrays! What are you using for tweeters in them and what frequency do you cross them? I am building my LM3886 "Gain Clone" this weekend. (Can't just build laser stuff lol!)

Jules

yeah i was gonna say "hey hi, my name is niko, i like cereal and i LOVE AUDIO, i'm such an audiophile!!"

but after looking at those 2 pictures of OMGICANTBELIEVEHOWMANYSPEAKERSTHEREAREINTHATSH*T, i cant consider myself an audiophile anymore.

this deserves the LOLWUT award, you WIN, guys.

rkcstr

lol, I love my line arrays because there really is no "sweet spot", it's just good all over ;D

As for the tweeters, they were a cheap soft dome tweeter that was originally for Ford (?) vehicles that Parts Express sold a few years back in their buyouts section for $0.69 each! The 4" speakers, affectionally known as NSBs (No Specified Brand, I believe), I think were actually made by Pioneer, but they only cost me $0.50 each!

I cross them around 3.5 to 4.0khz. The 4" speakers are actually full-range, but their response starts to fall off some around 5khz and I think the tweeters start to drop off on their low end around 3khz or so, so I used that point. My setup isn't advanced enough for me to fully test and design everything perfectly, but it works pretty well, I think, so I see no reason to "improve" it.