Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know this ebay scammer?

Cad602

Just when I thought I knew how to spot a scammer, I let my guard down.

On Ebay there's a guy, thelaserland who is selling modules he's advertizing as being very powerful. Even though the description is a little wonky, he assured me that they were what I was looking for. And that is where I screwed myself. It looked too good to be true and apparently it was the stupidest thing I've done in a long time.

So instead of testing the module and sending it to me like he said he would, he ordered a low powered module from Wlaser and sent me this - without the cap, which makes me wonder if WLaser is in on the scam.

I've filled a case against him, and I hope I can get a refund even though he actually sent me something resembling what I ordered - from a third party - for at least half the price I paid him!

For about a week there was no tracking information on ebay. But I waited until the day it was supposed to arrive asking him why there was no tracking. He said that because he uses "multiple addresses" that it would confuse paypal. This got me scared and I asked him that if he hadn't shipped it yet to please give me my money back.

Instead, his response was to look into it.
Then a couple of days later, tracking information did indeed show up, I wonder if he thought I wouldn't check? I was pretty sure I was getting screwed by this point, since he had originally said he would send it after personally testing it...or that was implied anyway...I'll have to re read my messages to and from him to get the verbage right.

A couple of days later I got an envelope in the mail, and it said it was from WLASER. My heart sank, I'd seen their site before and I knew that they didn't have anything powerful like what I thought I had ordered, and sure enough, on their site, the 150 MW DIY module they sell says that the output power is <100MW....so it's probably less than the 50-60mW that my $40 pointer from dino direct is putting out, but for the privilage of having him order JUNK from a third party I get to pay more than twice as much.

I have to learn every lesson the hard way...

Don't order from thelaserland on ebay!!

Oh well, not that I should be spending any more money, but I just ordered a 200mW transformable from O-Like.com...

cad602

jakeGT

oh yeah, that's my buddy. He's a good scammer!

Just kidding, I feel for you man. Nothing worse than getting nothing for something :(

Thanks for the heads up tho. We need to keep the community alarmed about such arssses

Cad602

Thanks guys - I think I just needed to vent a little, even if it's so infuriating that I can't quite get the words right.

I was searching scammers on these forums and there was a guy that popped up who had refused to give a tracking number and I was getting even more pissed reading his taunts...still, there was some good information in that thread that I can use to protect myself during the dispute...

Now I have to wait up to 7 days I think it was, for the guy to answer my claim.

cad602

Cad602

Well! Ebay ruled in my favor and just tonight they refunded my $89.95. The corespondence I had with the seller helped the customer service guy rule in my favor.
Only took a little time - then, they sent me a prepaid shipping label and had me return the 3rd party's module directly to "the seller"! (this has to make him pissed).

The Ebay case worker guy is encouraging me to leave "appropriate feedback" but I just know that if I give a negative I will get a negative right back!

Some of the feedback he's gotten seems to imply that he's not sold a single unit with the specifications in the listing and I would like to warn people but at what cost to my reputation? Should I give the seller negatvie feedback and hope he doesn't bite back?
I wonder if Ebay would protect me further by not letting him? It really seems like they want me to warn people.

Anyway, I've now got some extra money in my pay pal account and I'm trying to figure out what to buy!

cad602

Well! Ebay ruled in my favor and just tonight they refunded my $89.95.

Glad to read this.... Karma's a ferociously biting bitch when it comes to wrongdoers. Thanks for sharing this, good for you & to hell with him! :beer:

sellers can no longer give negative feedback to their buyers. So go ahead and give him negative feedback.

looking through his feedback and only one other has had an issue with him. But he hasn't sold much and I figure he thought you wouldn't notice most people wouldn't know any better.

Well! Ebay ruled in my favor and just tonight they refunded my $89.95. The corespondence I had with the seller helped the customer service guy rule in my favor.
Only took a little time - then, they sent me a prepaid shipping label and had me return the 3rd party's module directly to "the seller"! (this has to make him pissed).

The Ebay case worker guy is encouraging me to leave "appropriate feedback" but I just know that if I give a negative I will get a negative right back!

Some of the feedback he's gotten seems to imply that he's not sold a single unit with the specifications in the listing and I would like to warn people but at what cost to my reputation? Should I give the seller negatvie feedback and hope he doesn't bite back?
I wonder if Ebay would protect me further by not letting him? It really seems like they want me to warn people.

Anyway, I've now got some extra money in my pay pal account and I'm trying to figure out what to buy!

cad602

Who sent you a pre-paid Shipping label...:thinking:

That pre-paid shipping label better include Tracking and
delivery signature requirement...
If not... use your own money to ship it properly...

If you purchased an item on eBay and you win a PP claim...
Paypal will hold that amount UNTIL the defective part has
been proven to have been delivered into the seller's hands...
or you will never see the refund..:eek:

NO TRACKING and NO DELIVERY SIGNATURE = You got Scammed again...:cryyy:

Jerry

Last edited:

Cad602

Who sent you a pre-paid Shipping label...:thinking:

That pre-paid shipping label better include Tracking and
delivery signature requirement...
If not... use your own money to ship it properly...

If you purchased an item on eBay and you win a PP claim...
Paypal will hold that amount UNTIL the defective part has
been proven to have been delivered into the seller's hands...
or you will never see the refund..:eek:

NO TRACKING and NO DELIVERY SIGNATURE = You got Scammed again...:cryyy:

Jerry

Scratch all you want, but the part was confirmed as delivered to the guy who ripped me off. Yes there was a tracking number. I tracked it every day of the week. :wtf: :)

The shipping label came from either ebay or pay pal - I don't have it with me to confirm if it was PP of EB and I'm not sure it's necessary because all I was trying to do was to let people know that my case ended positively for me and to ask for some advice. So this is what it's like for the victim to relive an assault - Just kidding! I could have been a little more descriptive and I will try to do a better job in the future.

What I'm trying to get advice on is whether to leave the "appropriate feedback" - which I would do if he can't bash me back.

Recap: I won having the case escalated, the money is in my pay pal account & I want to know if I should be honest or protect myself from reprisals.

By the way, that laserbee 2.5W USB is the most satisfying purchase I've made since I bought a front end ball joint replacing kit for my TJ :)

cad602

Last edited:

Cad602

sellers can no longer give negative feedback to their buyers. So go ahead and give him negative feedback.

I'm trying to find where it is written on ebay that this is true. The guy seemed to imply that he could leave negative and I want to be extra certain.

I think I'm being too paranoid but I'm a little jumpy right now.

Thanks,

cad602

v33

All the seller can do is file an unpaid item strike. Not in your case since you paid via PP. There is no option for the seller to leave neg feedback, stop searching and neg him already. He is obviously clueless if he didnt know the rules changed years ago.

Last edited:

Cad602

All the seller can do is file an unpaid item strike. Not in your case since you paid via PP. There is no option for the seller to leave neg feedback, stop serching and neg him already. He is obviously clueless if he didnt know the rules changed years ago.

Ok, I did it. I don't know why that felt so weird - I try to be nice and give people the benefit of the doubt - even at my advanced age - but every which way I replay the chain of events (all our conversations, his reassurances) I see he had no intent on giving me what I thought I was paying for.

At least I didn't bash him over the head, leaving it specifically for ">150mW" for when the item may no longer be researched.
And just in case anyone wonders why the feedback is not from 'cad602' - I have a different ebay user id...

Thanks to each of you for your help and encouragement.

I can't wait for my 200mW from O-like to get here!

cad602

v33

Hopefully our feedback will save someone else from the hassles you went through. You mentioned that he said would leave you neg feedback if you neg'd him....feedback extortion. That's against eBay's code of conduct and should be reported if you have proof.