Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone interested in an RPL

Just wondering if anyone is interested in buying an RPL unit. I got the thing from pseudo over a year ago, but it tends to just sit on my shelf most of the time. I'm not 100% sure of its average output now, but when I got it, it was outputting about 330mW. The last I checked it (back in July or August) it output about 320mW (it's was only about a 5-second test, though.)

As for batteries used in this unit, I have three 18650 Li-Ion batteries and charger to throw in. Two of the batteries are rated at 2600mAh and have only been charged/discharged once and the third battery is either a little above or below 2000mAh.

I'm open to all offers; the most I can do is say no, right? PM me if you're interested. I accept PayPal and money orders.

Do you remember which model RPL it was? Can you post a picture? Does it have a case, goggles/glasses, etc?
Thanks!

Joenobody said:
Do you remember which model RPL it was? Can you post a picture? Does it have a case, goggles/glasses, etc?
Thanks!

Strictly speaking, since its not from optotronics, its not an RPL. Its the same as what you all know as an RPL, but we're not allowed to call it an RPL for fairnesses sake. This was a unit I got on a fluke a long time ago. Tested in a bit over 300mW and I sold it to mathyou on the LC. I can't attest for its condition now since I haven't seen it, but it was as good as my RPL 300 from the 20 pop balloon vid was at the time I shipped it out.

I'd love to make an offer for such a fine piece of kit, but unfortunately all my funds are tied up for now and I couldn't offer you even half of what it must have been originally.
Good luck is all I can say :) I think you will have no trouble getting rid of it.

pseudonomen137 said:
Strictly speaking, since its not from optotronics, its not an RPL. Its the same as what you all know as an RPL, but we're not allowed to call it an RPL for fairnesses sake. This was a unit I got on a fluke a long time ago. Tested in a bit over 300mW and I sold it to mathyou on the LC. I can't attest for its condition now since I haven't seen it, but it was as good as my RPL 300 from the 20 pop balloon vid was at the time I shipped it out.
I guess I just can't get myself to refer to it as my "laser that's the same as optotronic's RPL but is not officially RPL since it was never marketed as such."  "RPL" is so much easier :)  Anyway, thanks for the clarification.  I was going to make a post about what apparent model it is and not officially being an "RPL," but I couldn't have said it better than pseudonomen.

One more thing to know about the unit:  A while ago I was fiddling with the lens and scratched it (it really sucked after that.)  Although Jack never sold or marketed this particular unit, he was kind enough to treat it as an "out-of-warranty" repair (i.e., I paid him and he shipped it with one of his service shipments to China) and I got it back in excellent upto-specs working condition. [tangent]Great customer service on Jack's part and a great guy to work with![/tangent]

I'll have pictures and videos up shortly

whats the minimum u would accept? i maybe interested in this, nothing concrete as of yet.

If I sell this laser, I realized I won't need my laser goggles anymore (so I'll include those as well.)  The goggles are ones I got from WL way back when.  The two orange batteries and charger alone were like $40 to $50 (USD).  Anyway, here's a picture of the laser, the batteries, battery charger and goggles:

laser_etc.jpg

And here are some videos I took with my cell phone camera (I used Diamond brand "strike-on-box" matches):

This first video is lighting a match at four feet.  The match ignites rather quickly being that the battery was "fresh and rested."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAML1TW1J_E

This next video is lighting a match at five feet (only after having played with the laser for a few minutes and having lit a bunch of matches; i.e., noticable loss of power):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJk_AC3vvts

And last, I do have a case (from Optotronics) but it was given to me.  If you want it, it will cost extra (i.e., the at-cost value with the funds going right back to my friend who gave it to me.)

I'll give you 20 bucks ;D

jk

looks like a nice unit, maybe if you shipped it back to pseudo like he offered and got a certificate of power, there might be a higher intrest (just my 0.02 cents)

Good Luck :)

Bumping to add:

When I first offered this laser for sale, the output power I provided was just an estimate without a current proper power meter reading. So here's an update:

A few weeks ago I got the power tested with the help of Dr. Sohl at the physics department of Weber State Univeristy (in Ogden Utah) Tangentially, his testimonial (and pictures of a laser lecture he gave) are posted at Optotronics.com. It was only because of his pictures at the website that I contacted him to ask for assistance (otherwise I would have had no reason to contact him; i.e., the University of Utah is closer to me than WSU.) Anyway, upon testing it there, it seemed a bit low. It peaked over 350 mW (but it's average was lower than I was hoping.) But come to find out, at the suggestion of Jack (at Optotronics), often the tailcap battery contact and threads need a good deoxidation. It doesn't seem like it would make a big difference, but Jack said that deoxidizing clears up many under-power issues.

So I got some DeoxIT and just eyeballing it, I could see that the laser was pumping out more power. I was able to consistently ignite match after match. Over the course of about one minute, at three feet, all matches lit within one second. At four feet, matches lit within two to four seconds. Deciding it needed it's power tested again, but not wanting to make the drive up to Ogden (about a 45-min. drive from SLC) I thought I'd see if I could contact someone in the physics department at the U of U. After many forwarded e-mails and much waiting for replies, I finally got a hold of someone in said physics department who could assist me with a laser power meter. So I got it tested there.

I don't have data points to plot a graph for you, so I'll give you my observation. The laser immediately peaked at 370+ mW, then dropped to around 300-ish mW for a bit. After that, it settled down around 250-ish mW. Toward the end of the test (about 1 minute long) it dipped below 200mW for a bit then rose back up to around 220-ish mW.

Not sure how much this helps, but figured it would be useful to know for anyone interested.