Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone have a pic of a 523nm next to a 532nm?

Alsone

Does anyone have a pic of 523nm (DPSS) and 532nm green side by side?

I'm interested in a colour comparison.

Last edited:

If theres much of a noticable difference at all it'd be very subtle. However, answering the thread I doubt anyone has a picture

Alsone

Yeah thanks for that. Obviously 523 is going to fall in between the two colours but it does at least allow some guesswork of how it is going to look 532 / 510nm side by side.

Would be really good is someone did have 523nm though.

From the looks of it though, it should be a really nice green. Darker than 532 but not as deep as 510 which looks a little too deep for my tastes in some pics.

rhd

From the looks of it though, it should be a really nice green. Darker than 532 but not as deep as 510 which looks a little too deep for my tastes in some pics.

Neither of these phrases make sense as comparisons. No wavelength of light is "darker" than another.

More to the point of your comment - I don't think you'd be able to tell a difference between 523 and 532.

Last edited:

Alsone

Neither of these phrases make sense as comparisons. No wavelength of light is "darker" than another.

More to the point of your comment - I don't think you'd be able to tell a difference between 523 and 532.

532nm Side by side with 510nm its clear to see that 510nm is a darker shade of green, many have described it as forest green or Christmas tree green whereas 532nm green is a much lighter shade and some say more yellowy shade.

It is reasonable to presume that as the wavelength of 523nm falls exactly in the centre of 510nm and 532nm, the shade of green will also be halfway between the two other wavelengths.

I take your technical point that wavelengths of light aren't darker or lighter themselves as obviously wavelength refers to the length of the light wave. However, the colour of light that it is perceived from different wavelengths in the spectrum does lead to both a difference in visible colour and shade. eg 445nm blue is much darker than 457nm blue or 473nm blue.

Last edited:

rhd

532nm Side by side with 510nm its clear to see that 510nm is a darker shade of green, many have described it as forest green or Christmas tree green whereas 532nm green is a much lighter shade and some say more yellowy shade..

(...)

I take your technical point that wavelengths of light aren't darker or lighter themselves as obviously wavelength refers to the length of the light wave. However, the colour of light that it is perceived from different wavelengths in the spectrum does lead to both a difference in visible colour and shade. eg 445nm blue is much darker than 457nm blue or 473nm blue

I agree on the "forest green" and "yellowy shade" comments, but not "darker" or "lighter". 510 isn't darker, and 532 isn't lighter. 445 isn't darker than 473. Darkness/lightness are qualifications that deal with the relative intensity of the light, not its shade. You can't use those phrases to describe the wavelength.

It is reasonable to presume that as the wavelength of 523nm falls exactly in the centre of 510nm and 532nm, the shade of green will also be halfway between the two other wavelengths.

Nope, that's not how it works. There's a big huge span of the green spectrum that basically looks almost the same throughout to our eyes, take a look:
http://info.gtilite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CIE-and-new-and-old-graphiclite-SPD1.jpg

In that range, which is roughly 520 to 535, there's really not much discernible difference in colour at all.

Alsone

Nope, that's not how it works. There's a big huge span of the green spectrum that basically looks almost the same throughout to our eyes, take a look:
http://info.gtilite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CIE-and-new-and-old-graphiclite-SPD1.jpg

In that range, which is roughly 520 to 535, there's really not much discernible difference in colour at all.

I have a 523nm coming I think in the 500-600mw range so I'll let you know when I get it if I can put it side by side with someone's 532 projector. However, it may be a few months.

I'm a bit surprised no-one has tried this wavelength as although its DPSS in the higher powers, it does have a diode version in the lower end which obviously suits pointers better.

rhd

I have a 523nm coming I think in the 500-600mw range so I'll let you know when I get it if I can put it side by side with someone's 532 projector. However, it may be a few months.

I'm a bit surprised no-one has tried this wavelength as although its DPSS in the higher powers, it does have a diode version in the lower end which obviously suits pointers better.

If you're telling the truth, that's remarkable. A 500 to 600mW 523nm labby is like a $10k piece of kit.

That said, the current pricing on 523nm range diodes is not far behind that. The diodes that approach 532 are the most expensive, and I think the "525nm" binned ones are nearly $2k right now.