Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

anyone else run into this?

Mohrenberg said:
seems like about 80% of the time when i show my lasers to someone.....instead of being amazed and in awe of what it does i usually get the response "but whats it for?"

and then i don't really know what to say so i just respond with "it's a laser! and it burns stuff!"

then they say "ok, but what can you do with it?"

and i say "but it's a laser! you can burn stuff with it!"

.....and they eventually fail to grasp the awesomeness that is a high powered laser pointer......

anyone run into this alot?
Yeah... I get that question often... I respond by telling them I need them to test LPMs and to
design new laser products...  :cool:
or  that they wouldn't understand anyway if they needed to ask the question.. ::)

Jerry

jwc said:
My parents are a little confused as to why I want to spend most of my hard-earned money on glorified flashlights...

My family doesn't get it either. Other side of the coin I've met people who have been in awe of my lasers. My likely Ex-girlfriend couldn't believe how amazing a 125W green was when viewed at night. What might impress a non-laser person is the length of the beam at night. I get either great big wow's or a stray comment using one or that might be illegal, even if I'm pointing at an empty field.  ::)

I can't wait for the 450mW focusable green I'm having built. I expect that will quiet all dissenters when the night sky is completely and gloriously illuminated with everything I have at once.  :cool:

lasersbee said:
they wouldn't understand anyway if they needed to ask the question.. ::)

Jerry

LOL My girlfriend stopped asking "why" a long time ago. Not much things to shine at the beach, but in under 2 months I'll be on a lake in the mountains with 30 of my bros. Should be interesting.... [smiley=beer.gif]

My family doesn't get it either. Other side of the coin I've met people who have been in awe of my lasers. My likely Ex-girlfriend couldn't believe how amazing a [highlight]125W[/highlight] green was when viewed at night. What might impress a non-laser person is the length of the beam at night. I get either great big wow's or a stray comment using one or that might be illegal, even if I'm pointing at an empty field.  ::)

I can't wait for the 450mW focusable green I'm having built. I expect that will quiet all dissenters when the night sky is completely and gloriously illuminated with everything I have at once.  :cool:

You have a 125watt green laser ;)

No wonder the ex thought it was amazing ... What happened to her, small accidental (laser) fire? ;)

i have ran into that, specially family members... one uncle watched me play with my 20mW blu-ray and asked me if there was an "LED" in it, i said "no its an LD" so he asked "whats the difference" then i tried to teach him how a LASER works but i dont think he understood, because he saw me again about a month later and asked me the same thing!! :mad: these people dont know what they are dealing with... later that day i told him that i would be getting one pretty soon that was a bit more powerful than that blu ray one (a 100mW green), i told him that he had to be careful if he ever used it because he could become instantly blinded by it, he just said "that doesn't happen"... now i know never to let him use one ;)

... but the question that i get most often is "did you do that for school?"... when i answer no they are usually really confused as to why i would build one for myself hahaha...

Exactly the opposite happened today, I was running a kids birthday party, when they were taking the "cake pictures" I lit the cake with the flip top spiro... the mum and dad were well impressed and were asking all sorts of questions about it.

Regards rog8811

So far I've yet to really impress anyone with my lasers except one of my brother's mates that likes to rave... And my teacher that didn't believe that a beam of light can light a match. People just don't understand how rare these things are..?

rog8811 said:
I showed my wife the fliptop lighter spiro I had just made, her comment....only one colour? :mad:

regards rog8811
hahahaohwow-1.jpg

Seeing as how this is up the top again, I had a group of people from a large oil company up to my nature reserve for a bat watching evening.
I started the session with a PPT presentation.... and the 7 colour pointer:) By the time I had used 3 colours I was hearing murmering voices.

When I took them out in the woods to our biggest pond I waited for it to get dark... then turned on the spiro!
Every bloke, and a couple of the women, then were asking the ins and outs, could they try it? where could they buy one?

All in all I think it was recieved rather well.

Regards rog8811

I got my wife hooked very simply. I bought her some vaseline glass jewelry. Old Czech lampwork uranium glass beads on a necklace. (Women love jewelry)

Then I explained how she could find more looking around at goodwills/fleamarkets/antique stores if she had a blu-ray to check it with.

She now has no problem with the lasers (although she's always been pretty understanding about my "hobbies")

Me, my mom wont understand how cool are lasers and how special the one I build are, all she thinks of it is :
"Go and study, stop loosing your time with those"
or even :
"Ya, that's it, stare at it and break your eyes..."
The worst is when I tell her I want to get a pair of laser safety goggles, she always says :
"Your lasers are so dangerous that now you need safety goggles"
My brother too has "laserphobia",
My dad him lets me do what I want with those, he just wants me to be careful.
But like my mom, he thinks I'll get hooked like crazy, then I'll stop studying and then drop school...

It does happen often that people don't get amazed by those, yet I've sold a laser to a guy who knew how costly they are on the Internet; 220mW of red for 20$... People often think at school that I'm a geek, and that I need to do complex algebra to build those... :D. Well, when I sold that laser, I did a power demonstration to some guys and they found that really cool.

Last edited:
I just took the attitude, it is my hobby and I don't care what other's think. I surround myself with people who enjoy the same things I do and ignore the rest who pish-posh my hobbies. For those that I can't just ignore (parents) I just don't talk about my hobby or share it with them. I tried for years to get them more interested in computers but they just won't have it...I still get calls about how to make a CD or send an attachment with an e-mail.

Those that give me crap about my hobbies, I just shrug and say that something I know they are interested in holds no interest for me. When you put the shoe on the other foot, people that have higher than a room temp IQ will catch on to what you are implying.