Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

anyone else run into this?

seems like about 80% of the time when i show my lasers to someone.....instead of being amazed and in awe of what it does i usually get the response "but whats it for?"

and then i don't really know what to say so i just respond with "it's a laser! and it burns stuff!"

then they say "ok, but what can you do with it?"

and i say "but it's a laser! you can burn stuff with it!"

.....and they eventually fail to grasp the awesomeness that is a high powered laser pointer......

anyone run into this alot?

Yeah.. I've found that if you want to see the most appreciation for high-powered pointers, take them to the club or a rave.. People there will seldom ask "what's it for?".. especially if it's violet.

jwc

My parents are a little confused as to why I want to spend most of my hard-earned money on glorified flashlights...

I get that all the time with the bigger stuff - people love the 50mW pointers I sell at the shows for $50 (in fact, I'm often out of stock on them) but show them a $2k Hercules and they immediately ask "why" ...

In my line of work, it's an easy answer - I grab my greenie and point out a light fixture or a specific cable run or connector and say "go check that connector", etc - they see the use in my being able to point stuff out to the guys without having to actually go to (or up on) the racks, etc to troubleshoot ...

I try to downplay the burning factor, though, most of the time.. dumb kids and most anyone with any type of engineering background think it's cool, (for obviously different reasons) but with most people I just look at it this way:

"If I have to explain, You wouldn't understand..."

I think it appeals more to the little kid, and scientists in most of us. Other people are to grown up or technically challenged to appreciate the "toy" because in their minds it has no practical uses. Ever since I was a kid I have always wanted to build a laser gun. When <5mW pointers came out it was cool, but then turned into basically a cat toy quickly. I saw laser on DX, and then saw the high power ones were not allowed to be imported into the US. Well that sealed it for me. Then I saw the Blu-Rays and now I'm hard core hooked.

Just like all of you... :D

I showed my wife the fliptop lighter spiro I had just made, her comment....only one colour? :mad:

regards rog8811

i keep waiting to watch that little kitty get sliced by the axe.......i'm disappointed.

It sucks, im out of money having no dam job.. and im bluray-less... :mad:
Btw thanks to the special member who gave it to me at no charge.
Mohrenberg, i start to like your lasers ;). They got something special...

-Greg

You've converted your wife too, hey Rog? Every time UPS, DHL, or the Postman drops off anything from China mine's right there on the scene, tryin' to see if there's something new and/or "cool" for her to confiscate ;D

So far she's got her Dilda, a really nice 2-tone anodized Kryton 6X from Dave, a nice 120mW CNI clone, and seems to have designs on one of the 100mW "kaliedescope" styles I have on the way from SZWholesale .....

And yes - she finds it funny as hell to burn me from time to time when I'm not paying attention (I kinda stated THAT one, though...)

disma

It's almost as hard explaining what a laser is for as it is to explain what a tesla coil is good for. lol :)

BrewCityMusic said:
You've converted your wife too, hey Rog? Every time UPS, DHL,  or the Postman drops off anything from China mine's right there on the scene, tryin' to see if there's something new and/or "cool" for her to confiscate  ;D

So far she's got her Dilda, a really nice 2-tone anodized Kryton 6X from Dave, a nice 120mW CNI clone, and seems to have designs on one of the 100mW "kaliedescope" styles I have on the way from SZWholesale .....

And yes - she finds it funny as hell to burn me from time to time when I'm not paying attention (I kinda stated THAT one, though...)

Man I just love happy endings :'( :'( :'(

lol....
it may be wrong...but i still find it funny to burn peoples legs......but i'm childish and irresponsible....i've yet to buy any safety goggles still....

iewed

I like lasers because I can learn about electronics from them. Applied science is one of the better ways to learn IMO.
Basically everyone that I've shown a laser to at night has been like "Oh shit!" since you can see the beam, but in the day is more of "Oh, that's neat."

iewed said:
I like lasers because I can learn about electronics from them. Applied science is one of the better ways to learn IMO.
Basically everyone that I've shown a laser to at night has been like "Oh shit!" since you can see the beam, but in the day is more of "Oh, that's neat."
I remember this thing happened one night after the new year firework... i was shining my laser in teh sky was teh fun..

-Greg