Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any Lock-Picking tips?

So...
I lost the key to my mailbox somewhere between the front door and my car.
I've given up hope trying to find it.

The P.O. employees tell me I need identification plus a copy of the lease agreement... and then $50 to get the lock changed.
It's a real inconvenience. I'm hoping my key turns up soon.

The bummer is that I have a charger + 18650 battery from Larry waiting for me. :(

I've considered picking the lock, but I have no experience doing so.
They also told me that I "can't" change the lock myself.
I am fully capable of swapping out locks, so I don't see what the problem would be if I did it myself and saved some money. Is it a federal crime to "tamper" with a mailbox?

If anyone has any suggestions or mailbox stories I'd love to hear 'em.
If I "can't" do it myself I'll just have to dig up the papers and hand them the $50.

Last edited:

You could try raking it, where you put tension on the barrel and "rake" the tumblers with a pick with the hope of having them all split at the same time. Since you have tension on the barrel it will (hopefully) turn before the springs force the tumblers back down.

Then there is the infamous "bump key" however I have no experience with those. The principal is the same as raking.

Good luck getting in your mailbox!

drevil

beat it with a hammer. Buy a new box. But usually the PO has a key I thought.

drevil

thread? what thread? no need to follow my posting mfo since your not even making an effort to contribute.

It differs where you live but generally the PO person carries a key to your box unless you own the box. It all depends on how bad you want those batteries. Otherwise just try a thin and flexible credit/whatever card. I don't know how complex your lock is.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

I don't know there, but in Italy you can't do that (assuming you're speaking about a PO box, not the mail box of your own home ;)) ..... PO boxes are property of postal office, they just left you use them for a monthly fee, and they want to keep a key too (not that they need it, cause all the PO boxes here have a single door in the back, where they put in mails, so the "we need to have a key" thing is just an excuse for make you pay a lot if you lost the key, with the excuse of the "lock change" fees) ..... anyway, you can't pick your own box here, you will become arrested if you try this ..... so, better you ask for the law about this in your country, before .....

But there is a possibility (hey, i have said you nothing, ok ?) ..... assuming there's no cameras that film the PO boxes place, you can try to hang the lock with something (who said superglue ?), then the day after ask them "hey, why i can't open my box ? ..... what happens ?" ..... and ask them if they have broken it (but this is a bit unhelpful, if you already said them that you have lost the key .....)

I don't know there, but in Italy you can't do that (assuming you're speaking about a PO box, not the mail box of your own home ;)) ..... PO boxes are property of postal office, they just left you use them for a monthly fee, and they want to keep a key too (not that they need it, cause all the PO boxes here have a single door in the back, where they put in mails, so the "we need to have a key" thing is just an excuse for make you pay a lot if you lost the key, with the excuse of the "lock change" fees) ..... anyway, you can't pick your own box here, you will become arrested if you try this ..... so, better you ask for the law about this in your country, before .....

But there is a possibility (hey, i have said you nothing, ok ?) ..... assuming there's no cameras that film the PO boxes place, you can try to hang the lock with something (who said superglue ?), then the day after ask them "hey, why i can't open my box ? ..... what happens ?" ..... and ask them if they have broken it (but this is a bit unhelpful, if you already said them that you have lost the key .....)

Lol indeed in most countries a broken lock or something else can make them fix it for free.
Because usally they are responsible for a good working "whatever it is" because they own it.
Damage it so its not able to open then say its broken. But dont talk to desame guy you said you lost the key;)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I tried raking the lock to no avail.

I ended up just waiting for the mail-lady, who kindly allowed me to remove the lock so I can change it.
Looks like I'll be making a trip to the hardware store soon.
And as a bonus I got my batteries!