Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any info on this thing "LaserMax"

title says it all .. anyone ever see one of these before.. my school was guna thow it out but i saw laser and asked to have it. I was wondering if i can use the laser in it or if it is just to small

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 93

Switch

Looks to me like just a player.Most likely the laser is too weak to be useful :p

What the hell though, it was free:) take it to pieces if you dont want to use it.
Get some experience of harvesting LD's, make a drive circuit to see what it will do.....while you wait for your parts from http://sales.stonetek.org/index.htm to arrive to do the job properly.

Regards rog8811

rkcstr

It's an old laser disc player... essentially a giant CD that holds about the equivalent of a DVD for movies. This was the intermediate movie player between VHS and DVD, my dad used to have one, but they didn't really catch on. So, I'm guessing it would be an IR laser in there, not really going to give you much.

i read online that there could be a tube of gas or w/e that might be able to make HeNe... and i want to take the diode out to see if it has anything... but i dont experience doing so and i wouldnt wanna wreck it...

Razako

It's probably just an old IR diode that won't give you anything impressive. I would just take it apart and harvest the useful components.

Razako said:
It's probably just an old IR diode that won't give you anything impressive.  I would just take it apart and harvest the useful components.

wat are the useful components? is that len-like looking thing next to the diode a useful component?... wat exactly should i be looking for...

its kinda big so if anyone has more advice.. plz speak up cuz i wanna harvest and get rid of it.

Razako

DontXtripNfall said:
[quote author=Razako link=1203129351/0#9 date=1203270956]It's probably just an old IR diode that won't give you anything impressive. I would just take it apart and harvest the useful components.

wat are the useful components? is that len-like looking thing next to the diode a useful component?... wat exactly should i be looking for...

its kinda big so if anyone has more advice.. plz speak up cuz i wanna harvest and get rid of it.[/quote]
Any random parts that are useful for DIY projects. Small motors, leds, various connectors, transformers, etc.

some of the older Laserdisc players had Helium-Neon lasers in them (HeNe) so that would be really cool if yours has one, if not it's a good source of misc. components :)

Laserdisc players were BASED ON using 632nm HeNe lasers. That thing has a helium neon gas laser in it!
That said, if you don't want it, I'll have it for like $40 + postage :p but i'm guessing you want to keep it since its got a gas laser.

I think only the older Pioneer and Magnavox LaserVision players had HeNes in them.. The newer ones have 780nm laser diodes.

idk wat i should do... i wouldnt kno wat im looking for if i take it apart and i wouldnt kno anything about looking for hene... being unexperienced maybe im better off selling it?...