Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any info on NY state?

so ive read through this section on the forums, and ive also scoured through google to try and gind specific relevant info on laser laws in new york state. ive read about schumer trying to press the issue, meaning there is no regulations in place? im aware of the dont point at people or planes anywhere in the usa obviously, but im just not finding anything specific about NY....

ide hate to be on my porch shining in the sky one night n have a cop pull up and confinscate my toys, ide much rather have some solid paprwork on the ny laws or lack there-of that i can produce if such an incident occurs.

if anyone has any relavent info, thank you!

Pman

Don't know but looks like someone lives about 1.5 hours from Pman:)

yuppers. thats why i was askin you for lpm services ^^... if im ever out that way for darien lake or anything ill hafta hit you up to see your massive pen collection!!

Same laws as everyone else. Don't be a jackass and I think you'll be fine.

everyplace has different regulations.... im pretty sure the only standardize rules are import/export regulations and the pointing at officials/planes... otherwise i think possesion and usage rules vary from place to place

LSRFAQ

Don't take it to work/school. NYS requires a license to use a laser in a workplace greater then class IIIA. The test is difficult, and the license is expensive. The fines are worse. Laser shows in NY require a NYS class B license, which is not easy to get. Worse, you have to live in NYS to get one.

Steve

I would assume the laws in NY would be similar to here in STL, if you shine the light on someone elses property, expect the popo. They will say your laser usage is a nuisance and fine you. I would just use common sense.. Don't shine on other peoples property, or up at the sky, (especially in NY...I would bet planes are everywhere). Shining at Cars, Windows, Houses, or anything else can get you popo'd.

i do a good few minutes of sky gazing for clearance b4 shining and ya theres almost always 1 or 2 planes on either side of the sky.... makes it difficult to shine upwards.

The precautions we have to take before lasing the busy sky nowadays...either reminds of looking left and right before crossing the street for my own good...or checking around for the sake of innocent bystanders before lighting up a removed. Definitely cuts both ways. It's mutually beneficial; for the safety of both parties.