Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anti-Bugs Laser Guns for "Kosher" Food Supervisors

ohada

Hey All,

Check out this news article about a new method for improving the "Kosherness" of food.
This is from today (April 7th), from the respected number one online news site in Israel (Ynet), unfortunately it's in Hebrew and there are no pictures or technical stuff.

Here's the original version in Hebrew:
http://www.mynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3697898,00.html

And here's a link to translate it with Google (not perfect):
http://translate.google.com/transla...articles/0,7340,L-3697898,00.html&sl=iw&tl=en

Here is most of it translated slightly better by myself:

---------------------------------------------------------

"In light of the upcoming summer season, the Rabbinate Council of Tiberias is developing a plan which will require every food business owner to employ a Kosher supervisor carrying an anti winged-pests laser gun."

"The idea was born as the council saw a great importance in maintaining Kosherness in public institutions, and wished to prevent people from eating impure food, especially when it is done by mistake and without awareness."

"The innovative laser gun is developed in the United States by a group of scientists. The laser beam coming out of the gun neutralizes and eliminates the bug. The usage method is simple and without risks, and every Kosher supervisor will be required to carry a gun in the public places where he works, and prevent bugs from entering the area by using the gun."

"Kosher division manager Rabbi Refael Cohen emphasizes that the guns purchase will be financed by business owners with Kosher certificates, and says that at these days demonstration tests are being made. According to the Rabbi, most of the public is not aware that eating bugs equals eating pigs, and is therefore completely forbidden."

"At the moment all open area business owners are forced to close their business early in order to avoid the problem of flying bugs, hopefully the laser guns will provide a solution to the problem."

-----------------------------------------------------

I know this sounds ridiculous but you wouldn't believe the creativity and innovations used by orthodox jews to improve the quality of life, like these examples:
"Sabath" phone - instead of clicking buttons you use a small stick to block light sensors.
"Sabath" pen - the ink wears off after 24 hours so it's like you've never written it, but you get a chance to copy it in Sunday before it wears off.

I'm anxious to hear following news on this laser gun...

Ohad

Re: Anti-Bugs Laser Guns for "Kosher" Food Supervi

Wow, pretty interesting ... I have an orthodox buddy who only uses voice-activated dialing on the Sabbath, and even that very sparingly...

Then again, I'm catholic and we have that whole gruesome "body and blood" thing, so who am I to judge :eek:

ohada said:
Hey All,

Check out this news article about a new method for improving the "Kosherness" of food.
This is from today (April 7th), from the respected number one online news site in Israel (Ynet), unfortunately it's in Hebrew and there are no pictures or technical stuff.

Here's the original version in Hebrew:
http://www.mynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3697898,00.html

And here's a link to translate it with Google (not perfect):
http://translate.google.com/transla...articles/0,7340,L-3697898,00.html&sl=iw&tl=en

Here is most of it translated slightly better by myself:

---------------------------------------------------------

"In light of the upcoming summer season, the Rabbinate Council of Tiberias is developing a plan which will require every food business owner to employ a Kosher supervisor carrying an anti winged-pests laser gun."

"The idea was born as the council saw a great importance in maintaining Kosherness in public institutions, and wished to prevent people from eating impure food, especially when it is done by mistake and without awareness."

"The innovative laser gun is developed in the United States by a group of scientists. The laser beam coming out of the gun neutralizes and eliminates the bug. The usage method is simple and without risks, and every Kosher supervisor will be required to carry a gun in the public places where he works, and prevent bugs from entering the area by using the gun."

"Kosher division manager Rabbi Refael Cohen emphasizes that the guns purchase will be financed by business owners with Kosher certificates, and says that at these days demonstration tests are being made. [highlight]According to the Rabbi, most of the public is not aware that eating bugs equals eating pigs, and is therefore completely forbidden."[/highlight]

"At the moment all open area business owners are forced to close their business early in order to avoid the problem of flying bugs, hopefully the laser guns will provide a solution to the problem."

-----------------------------------------------------

I know this sounds ridiculous but you wouldn't believe the creativity and innovations used by orthodox jews to improve the quality of life, like these examples:
"Sabath" phone - instead of clicking buttons you use a small stick to block light sensors.
"Sabath" pen - the ink wears off after 24 hours so it's like you've never written it, but you get a chance to copy it in Sunday before it wears off.

I'm anxious to hear following news on this laser gun...

Ohad

Ok... so now there's a market for a portable Laser Gun to knock off pigs...  :-/

I mean the oink...oink kind... :cool: ;D

Jerry

Aint they to tim hortons?

World population out of control ;D Some peoples actually eat bugs...
Here, the FDA allows a certan amount of bug parts in our food :mad: They are too busy looking for greenies and bad pet food.

Mike

Putrio

How can a laser strong enough to kill a flying insect be without risks? :-?

Putrio said:
How can a laser strong enough to kill a flying insect be without risks? :-?

I don't know about you if but Israel starts selling em I'm buying! I can kill bugs with my 200mW bluray but they need to be in close range and besides that it needs a to be focused. 200mW is not safe muchless the 1 Watt+ needed to have a bug zapper.  :D

ohada

I will attempt to call them next week after the current Jewish holidays and see if I can get more details.

This is an hour drive from my home, so if they are willing to show it to me I'll go see and take some photos.

laser83 said:
[quote author=Putrio link=1239107122/0#5 date=1239147246]How can a laser strong enough to kill a flying insect be without risks? :-?

I don't know about you if but Israel starts selling em I'm buying! I can kill bugs with my 200mW bluray but they need to be in close range and besides that it needs a to be focused. 200mW is not safe muchless the 1 Watt+ needed to have a bug zapper.  :D
[/quote]

Did someone say Bug Zapper... maybe just attach a cheap 5mW Laser Diode Module on one of these....
and call it a Laser Bug Zapper.... ::) ::)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150337543524

Jerry

I remember trying to fry some bug with my "200mW" dilda. It took forever. A better method would be to just make a traditional bug trap and then lure those bugs in with a blu-ray laser instead.

laser83 said:
[quote author=Putrio link=1239107122/0#5 date=1239147246]How can a laser strong enough to kill a flying insect be without risks? :-?

[/quote]

Yeah, I had been wondering that myself - if it's got enough power to kill a bug, even a gnat or mosquito, instantly from a few feet away, then it has enough power to blind someone.

ohada

Just a small update: I called them and talked to the person in charge of this project.

He told me that this solution is not yet in pilot, it's only on paper now (unlike what the article said).

He promised to send me a fax with some more details on this, but I didn't receive any so far and I'm not optimistic.

Ohad

Benm

Schrecken_Licht said:
Yeah, I had been wondering that myself - if it's got enough power to kill a bug, even a gnat or mosquito, instantly from a few feet away, then it has enough power to blind someone.

One obvious way to overcome that problem is using a large number of beams that cross a single focal point. Depending on the number of beams, each one could be relatively weak but the combined power at the focal spot can be very large.

The same thing is done in situations like radiotherapy in oncology, though the beams dont need to be activated at the same time so a single beam can be used to illuminate a tumor from various angles but sparing tissue around it.

As a means to shoot bugs in restaurants it sounds very far fetched however, and then there is still the problem of where the zapped bugs actually go - i reckon they drop down charred dead, possible right into your soup.

Here, the FDA allows a certan amount of bug parts in our food

Which is perfectly logical since the FDA deals mostly with the safety of food, and there is no medical reason why a small amount of dead bugs (most kinds anyway) would pose any health risk at all. It might not be a pleasant idea, but as long as it's safe to eat, the fda gets is priorities right worrying about other things.

ohada

As a means to shoot bugs in restaurants it sounds very far fetched however, and then there is still the problem of where the zapped bugs actually go - i reckon they drop down [highlight]charred dead[/highlight], possible right into your soup.

Hey at least they're fried, better than eating raw meat...  ;)

I was wondering perhaps it's only enough to blind the insect, that way there's not much chance he will be able to find his way to the food (unless they smell their way to it).
I think blinding is easier because you can use a wider beam so targeting is easier, and it's also safer to humans around because the only risk is a direct eye hit and not a skin burn.

Though I wasn't successful myself in blinding mosquitoes using a high powered BluRay, they kept escaping even after 10 laser zaps (I was hoping to blind them and then get an "easy kill" with the traditional handy method).

Ohad

Benm

I suppose it would be very difficult to blind insects using lasers. Unlike us their facet eyes have pretty much the same resolution without the essential sharp spot in the middle. Insects cannot look at something (apart from rotating their heads), so they cant stare into the beam either. Even with half of the eye facets destroyed i doubt you'd notice much difference in behaviour.

But the idea is absolutely mad anyways. Insect control works best using poison, which leaves a repellent residue too. Modern bugspray is quite safe to use around people and food since it is not poisonous to mammals.

Read between the lines. It sounds like US gave them some more state of the art weapons technology (again) by cleverly bypassing the ITAR restrictions. Oyvey