Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another warning against stupidity

The high school I attend recently put on an astronomy night in which a few teachers brought telescopes and students could look at stars, planets, etc. A friend of mine had brought a <5 mw green laser in order to point at stars and to play around with. He ended up letting some friends borrow it, and since it was a slightly foggy night the laser soon became a Buzz Lightyear wrist laser to be shined out across the horizon and everywhere in between. Because the laser had minimal power, none of us thought this was any danger. About 15 minutes later a cop showed up at the school. We assumed he was just trying to figure out what a bunch of kids were doing out on the track in the middle of the night. The policeman got out and and asked us what we were doing. When we told him, he asked if our telescope had a laser on it. A teacher said that no, it didn't, but a couple of the kids were shining one around. The cop then told us that he had been driving down a road that was at least a mile and a half from where we were. He said the laser had hit him in the eye and he couldn't see a thing. I understand that the beam would have been very large at that distance, and there's no way someone could hold it still enough to hit him for more than a fraction of a second, but it turns out that shining a laser at a police officer's car is a federal offence. No one actually got in trouble, but i hate to think what a 500mw+ would have done. I'm just trying to say don't be stupid, you never know where a car could be at that far away.

^^^That and also don't allow people to use your lasers without supervision. Personally I don't let anyone I don't trust to handle a gun to handle a laser.

Trevor

Glad to hear your story ended well, but I'm sorry your astronomy night ended up being foggy. :(

-Trevor

@Trevor - Your signature just made me spit out my drink laughing! I was having the "Rapture Specials" all night long yesterday.

Trevor

@Trevor - Your signature just made me spit out my drink laughing! I was having the "Rapture Specials" all night long yesterday.

Yeah I came up with that before all this rapture crap started happening. Sigh. :tired:

-Trevor

Benm

It does raise some awarenes though, lasers can be a hazard to road traffic as well. You wont blind someone a mile a away, but its definitely distracting and probably the brightest light in the night, even if its only 5mW.