Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another "staring at reflection" question. Sorry guys

Hey, I've been trying to find info on the safest power of a green laser if you look at the reflection from the dot on a matte white surface.

From what I can tell so far, it seems that 50mw is the highest recommended to stare at a diffused reflection with the naked eye.

Yet other sources say up to 500mw is ok to stare at provided a glossy reflection doesn't bounce back at you?

Which is correct?

udanis

Hey, I've been trying to find info on the safest power of a green laser if you look at the reflection from the dot on a matte white surface.

From what I can tell so far, it seems that 50mw is the highest recommended to stare at a diffused reflection with the naked eye.

Yet other sources say up to 500mw is ok to stare at provided a glossy reflection doesn't bounce back at you?

Which is correct?

It's your eye site you take the gamble.

Wrong. It depends on many other factors- more than power. You must consider the actual reflectivity of the surface, the irradiation of the dot from 0.1 cm is much great than at 5 cm. The function is also greatly dependent on the distance away that your eyes are from the dot.

So... there's no practical formula good for every situation. So I say,

if > 10mw, wear goggles. If 5mw dot is too bright, wear goggles. If the FDA comes swooping in through your back window, wear goggles.