Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another new member looking to purchase a laser...

I hesitated mightily to post, but after researching this forum and all of the linked top-end manufacturer's web sites for several days, I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Some background - picked up a very cheap ebay 5mw green several weeks ago, and for the price ($18) I have no complaints at all. I'd like to spend a larger budget, though, to fix it's flaws for the applications I use it for:

- First off, I only need to point, not burn. Never burn. Visible beam at night, and a nice visible dot in full daylight. The 5mw pointer comes pretty close here, actually, but I need the beam to be visible from at least 10' off-center. This is for constellation pointing for my daughter and her friends. The 5mw is only visible if you're standing right next to me. From what I've read here, somewhere between 15-30 mw should be plenty, with probably a top cap of 50mw (correct me if this is wrong.) The daylight dot is working pretty well from the 5mw, and thats for agility training for my Aussie. She responds incredibly well in moving through the course in ad-hoc sequences by putting the dot on the hurdle or hoop she's to go through. Obviously high power here would be very dangerous, so I may have to buy a 5 mw just for this activity.

- Cold weather performance. This is the kicker that's really stumping me. The only laser I've found on the various web sites that even mentions cold weather capability is the Galileo at Laser Glow, and this is the real killer of the cheap $15 green I'm using right now. It's especially surprising to me since so many of these lasers are ostesibly sold as 'astronomy pointers', and even in warm climates the nights get chilly. All the greens I see show an operating range of 15-30C, which is just too warm. I'd buy the galileo in a heart beat if it had a bit more power and a momentary switch.

- Consistency and power. The cheap greenie eats AAAs like my daughter does to popcorn. Anything beefier would be much better... AA, C, CR, etc. Consistent beam output is good, though my problems there likely relate to the cold weather performance problem above, and not really to power. From reading here it sounds like at least a small heatsink is critical to keeping a bright beam for any length of time, which the pens lack.

- Reasonable cost. I can drop $100 on this easily, but the $200-$300 on up most of the true 'portable lasers' cost is a bit outside of my range. Though if the Laser Glow Ares 35 was in stock I might be tempted to grit my teeth and buy it (assuming it will operate in cooler weather.... they don't say.)

Sorry for the information overkill, but I've spent a lot of time researching and come up empty. If anyone knows a unit that comes close to these criteria, including custom makes, please let me know, and they'll have a paypal in minutes. Located in the US, btw, so DX is out.

Re: Another new member looking to purchase a laser

I think I have the perfect solution for you.  I bought a brand new LaserGlow Aries-35 a couple of months ago through a special deal with the owner.  It was a purchase of several items as you'll see I have the Galileo for sale in a different thread.  Anyway, this laser is actually working more like an Aries 20.  It runs off of 2 C size batteries and with standard Duracells it peaks at about 67mW's but will quickly drop to the 40's and then stay around 25mW's for at least 3 or 4 minutes (that is all I have checked).  I have only used this laser to check its power so it has only been powered "on" for maybe 5 minutes max.  I think because it is slightly unstable, LaserGlow did not want to sell it through their retail site.  It sounds like it may work perfect for your situation, I just happen to have too many lasers at the moment.  Attached are some pictures I just took.  It includes everything in the picture...aluminum case, keys, safety lock and the 2 batteries in it :)  I'll take $135.00 plus shipping which should not be more then $15.00 USPS Priority mail.  Let me know.
_DSC0217.jpg

_DSC0218.jpg

_DSC0219.jpg

_DSC0220.jpg

_DSC0221.jpg

_DSC0222.jpg

_DSC0224.jpg