Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

another lumina wheel

400mw 532nm lumia wheel

Hi all: :wave:

If you are interested in another way of building a lumia wheel

ImageShack Gallery

YouTube - lumia wheel

Edited: to post links here and change youtube video
Re-edit: I JB welded a magnet to the end of the motor shaft and to each piece of glass.

John :):):)

Last edited:

Looks like I am going to have to modify my "Chauvet abyss" some time soon, that looks far better than what the projector does as standard.

Regards rog8811

how'd you get the motor to go that slow?

I used a 1000 ohm potentiometer in series with the motor. It was a D.C. motor that ran off of 3 volts. I found that I could cut the voltage down to .8 volts with the pot to get it to .2 RPM. I used a switch across the pot to short it out to start the motor, as it draws a lot of current to overcome the inertia of the motor. Once the motor is turning it pulls less current and you can then leave the pot in the circuit to cut the voltage down to the level you want. My motor wouldn't stall until it got below .8 volts, once it was turning (started). Different D.C. motors might run at a different voltage, but the same principal would apply. Of course the lower the speed of the motor normally, then the lower the RPM you can get it down to with just a series resistance.

PWM could also be used to lower the speed of the motor, but that is a much more complex circuit than just a simple pot in series with the motor. I have used PWM on several of my spiro motors, but it wasn't necessary here for me. Of course I was starting with a motor whose normal speed was 1 RPM.

I have 2 D.C. motors that turn at 3 RPM and run on 1.5 volts, and 2 motors that turn at 1 RPM and run on 3 volts D.C. Also one that turns at 8 RPM and runs on 120 volts A.C., and one that turns at 3 RPM and runs on 24 volts A.C. I got all these motors to experiment with. If someone wants one of the remaining 6, let me know. I don't think I will need 7 lumia wheels. :crackup:
It was a lot of fun playing with the various motors to see which one was the best for my purposes.

Initially I thought I would want a lot more speed than .2 RPM. Up to 1 RPM produced similar resutls. The desired end speed to me depends on which one of the 56 pieces of glass I use. :D

Looks like I am going to have to modify my "Chauvet abyss" some time soon, that looks far better than what the projector does as standard.

Regards rog8811

It was a lot of fun to play with Rog. I bet you really enjoyed doing your 3 mirror spiro, and really small RGB projector. Now you need a super minature set of scanners. :D

Kudos! I really like the magnet mount idea, saves a ton of hassle drilling, etc! Also, now I'm going to have to look for a little different motor setup for the 2 I built, they're 120vac motors at 3RPM, but that super slow effect is really nice!

Kudos! I really like the magnet mount idea, saves a ton of hassle drilling, etc! Also, now I'm going to have to look for a little different motor setup for the 2 I built, they're 120vac motors at 3RPM, but that super slow effect is really nice!

Dale:

If you need a slower motor,let me know :rolleyes:

John :yh::yh::yh:

Kenom

Ya know another thing you can use to make a similair display is to use the diffuser from a flourescent lamp

F774-flourescent-light-filter-dtl.jpg

Been there done that - the trouble is the transmissibilty, you lose quite a bit of power (and for that matter, definition) with the acrylic diffusers...I have had good luck with the pebbled optical glass "water wheels" used in the ADJ Topaz 250 fixtures, a perfect balance of pattern and definition...

Thanks John, I'll keep that in mind - I'm heading to American Science (sciplus.com) in the AM to take a peeek at their selection of .5-1RPM motors, if I find nothing, you'll definitely be getting a PM!

@docjohn.. off topic: I saw some video of your RGB rig after watching this and that thing is pretty sweet! What are you using for a DAC?

@docjohn.. off topic: I saw some video of your RGB rig after watching this and that thing is pretty sweet! What are you using for a DAC?

All pangolin. The QM2000.net (DAC) and the LD2000 intro software. Very satisfied. :san:

John :yh::yh::yh:

^link doesn't work. It tries to verify that a paypal purchase has been made, it fails, and then gives an error message about how no purchase has been made...