Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

another coca-cola rocket (trend)

Anybody care to explain how this works?

Yes but first let me say that anyone doing this must stay away from any flame or source of ignition because the explosive yield will likely kill you, don't try this by the campfire while camping. This works with butane or propane, even the amount of butane in a disposable lighter is enough to kill you so be careful.

A little about butane and propane first, they are both hydrocarbons that are extracted from both natural gas and crude oil, they have to separate it from the natural gas or else liquid will form in the pipelines and interfere with the flow of gas. Sometimes the oil has little and they just burn it off but sometimes it has a lot. About 60% of our propane is extracted from natural gas and about 40% is extracted from oil. Both butane and propane have a boiling point very low below freezing. They have to be under pressure to remain liquid, when exposed to the air they will boil away and can expand up to several hundred times. Keep in mind though that they are both heavier than air.

Ok so you pour out some coke and add butane or propane, the butane or propane is rapidly expanding and boiling away right quick, you turn the bottle over and the butane or propane being lighter than the coke rises to the top while still expanding and boiling away, expanding as much as 500 times depending on temperature creating lots of thrust.

Alan

Yup ,

One reason its easy to store propane and butane is because they liquefy under pressure

Last edited:
Yes, and yes, and it's more dangerous than it looks in the video, if you want to make a Molotov cocktail with gasoline/diesel/kerosene ok then, but if you screw around with butane/propane like that you are doing something much more dangerous, so be careful with it.

Alan

GSS

Yes, and yes, and it's more dangerous than it looks in the video, if you want to make a Molotov cocktail with gasoline/diesel/kerosene ok then, but if you screw around with butane/propane like that you are doing something much more dangerous, so be careful with it.

Alan
Ive heard of welders getting killed or losing a leg by keeping a Bic lighter in their pockets I have also had a bic next to my ashtray and and the lit cigg burning a hole through it causeing it hiss as it let the gas out and it was scary. I realize a spark is what ignites basicly but theres no gaurantee

Last edited:
Ive heard of welders getting killed or losing a leg by keeping a Bic lighter in their pockets

Yes that's right, and those lighters, or was it the Cricket lighters or was it both, I don't remember but in those early days of the disposable lighter there were a number of deaths due to them exploding. 60 minutes did a show on this I think it was in 1975 and the design flaws in these were soon fixed, but not before several people were killed. In 1975/1976 I had a friend whose parents owned a motel and several times we secretly rented room 23 for us and our friends to get together. I remember a disagreement with him when he threw his lighter at me and hit me and I picked it up and threw it back at him and he ducked and it bounced off the wall, it broke the top of the lighter, he picked it up and said you broke my lighter, he presses the button and you hear a loud shhhhh sound. I said don't try to light it, this was one of those transparent lighters, I think a cricket lighter where you could see how much butane was in it. It was almost empty, he was sitting on the bed and fortunately the lighter was pointed straight up when he tried to light it, it shot flames to the ceiling, had he been standing he may have set the place on fire, had he been holding the lighter differently he could have been badly injured.

Alan

GSS

Yes that's right, and those lighters, or was it the Cricket lighters or was it both, I don't remember but in those early days of the disposable lighter there were a number of deaths due to them exploding. 60 minutes did a show on this I think it was in 1975 and the design flaws in these were soon fixed, but not before several people were killed. In 1975/1976 I had a friend whose parents owned a motel and several times we secretly rented room 23 for us and our friends to get together. I remember a disagreement with him when he threw his lighter at me and hit me and I picked it up and threw it back at him and he ducked and it bounced off the wall, it broke the top of the lighter, he picked it up and said you broke my lighter, he presses the button and you hear a loud shhhhh sound. I said don't try to light it, this was one of those transparent lighters, I think a cricket lighter where you could see how much butane was in it. It was almost empty, he was sitting on the bed and fortunately the lighter was pointed straight up when he tried to light it, it shot flames to the ceiling, had he been standing he may have set the place on fire, had he been holding the lighter differently he could have been badly injured.

Alan
Wow that is scary stuff, they have done alot of improvments for probably more for child safety wich was the most important. I dont see bic having the flame adjustment anymore I dont know if that was for safety or costs. Im pretty sure crickets are still out there I just dont buy them. Have you seen or remember the see through ones that had like a 2 stage insides where it was seperated down the middle and when you tilt it more fluid would go to one side. wonder if that was a safety thing or for some other reason? Or are those crickets. I would love to get a 1975 era bic and compare it to todays, I think we would be pretty surprised at the changes

You gotta love those crazy Russians, that was funny. :)
p.s. Do Not try this at home kids!

Last edited:
Wow that is scary stuff, they have done alot of improvments for probably more for child safety wich was the most important. I dont see bic having the flame adjustment anymore I dont know if that was for safety or costs. Im pretty sure crickets are still out there I just dont buy them. Have you seen or remember the see through ones that had like a 2 stage insides where it was seperated down the middle and when you tilt it more fluid would go to one side. wonder if that was a safety thing or for some other reason? Or are those crickets. I would love to get a 1975 era bic and compare it to todays, I think we would be pretty surprised at the changes

It seems like the crickets and all the transparent ones had that divider in the middle, I could be wrong though, its been a long time since I bought one, I quit smoking at least 3 years ago. Am going shopping at Walmart tomorrow, I'll buy one if I remember, have been using matches to light the candles or incense. I suspect the flame adjustment may have been a safety hazard. Look what I found on YouTube:

Alan

I went to Walmart again yesterday and remembered the Bic lighters when I saw them and I bought a 3 pack. I was very surprised when I read the package, they aren't made in China! They are made in France.

Alan