Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another "blue" frequency thread....

Okay, so after some reading I think I might be looking into a kit to put together the perfect laser for myself as an early Christmas present.
Here is my question. There are tons of kits that accept 445nm diodes. But, from what i am learning here, the real blue, not blueish purple, is more like 460ish nm. So, does anyone have diodes in this frequency? Well, i know a lot of you do, but what I mean is for the same cost more or less than a 445nm? Id be willing to shell out a few more bucks for something that looks nicer to the eye, as I don't really like the look of the more purplish blue beams that I see around. Does this sound crazy? Is there a super big jump in price for lets say a 455-460ish laser diode module as opposed to the readily available 445nm?

And, I also read that a 445nm with the 9mm diode looks more like 450ish, that compared to lets say a 140.

My ultimate goal is to have a beautiful blue beam without any hint of purple if possible, that I can put in a nice Sinner host Jayrob SS 18650 style host, while still being affordable, like lets say around or under 200 dollars. But again, if its something i "need", than the heart wants what the heart wants.....But, if this is something i need to put a good amount of more money to in order to get a different shade of blue, then i will wait for now. Just really wondering about this before I start planning my first of many builds and the start of a dangerous obsession......for my wallet.

Can someone clear this up just a bit for me? Im starting to get a headache with all this reading. Thanks in advance for your patience. Any more suggestions or opinions on this is very much appreciated.

I am learning.......slowly, very slowly, but getting there.

Dave

Last edited:

Things

You won't be getting anything blue other than 445nm for under $200 ;)

Yes, I saw those. I am wondering if there is any difference. The beam in the pics looks great. And I saw this PLTB450 in a pen size style on youtube by styrpyro I believe. Now, im guessing that the heat sink isn't good on something like that so, can I use the PLTB450 in lets say a Sinner host?

dave

Last edited:
You won't be getting anything blue other than 445nm for under $200 ;)

That's not completely correct.

The B&W Tek's are pretty cheap 473, and Laserlands has 473 available for <$200. My 100mW (50 rated) was $190.

And you can sometimes find cheap 488nm single line ions.

Last edited:

Things

That's not completely correct.

The B&W Tek's are pretty cheap 473, and Laserlands has 473 available for <$200. My 100mW (50 rated) was $190.

And you can sometimes find cheap 488nm single line ions.

dweglarz13 said:
that I can put in a nice Sinner host Jayrob SS 18650 style host

If you don't need it portable/handheld, then yes, you can get cheaper blue, but it's not happening in a handheld.

Do you know the danger of lasers? They are no toys. Even just pointing one at a wall and looking at the dot can damage. Learn a little bit about safety. A lotta bit actually. And they aren't that purplish. And I bet you've never seen a 445 if your asking all these questions. Please learn a lot more safety. And don't forget the search bar.

Please allow me to clear up. I am fully aware of the dangers of these high power lasers and I understand they are not toys. This will however be my first 445nm laser, so I really want to learn all I can before purchasing one.

dave

I think there's one option that's not being considered here, and that's the PL450B 120mW single-mode blue (note, not the PLT450B, which is the 1.4W blue. Different diode.) See here:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/450nm-pl450-diodes

IMO, if you want a beautiful blue beam, this is the way to go. It's 450nm, and distinctly different from the typical 445. Search the forums, and you'll find plenty of discussions on this.

I had one in a Sinner MS-v1, and it was one of my favorite handhelds (till I dropped it, and damaged the diode). I still hope to get another to replace it. There's NOTHING like a single mode blue, if you want a great looking beam, IMO. It was night and day when compared to my 1W A140 445. I'd take the single mode any day, if I had to pick one. And it won't cost you any more than any other 445.

-Andy

Last edited:
Are you telling me that you have this 120mW PL450B laser and that it actually looks better than a 1W 455? Or do you mean your 1W 445 nm?

I was wondering if it looked better, but at only 120mW? I was thinking it might be a bit lighter or more visible, but if they were compared side by side and both at probably 1W each?

Can you or anyone confirm this? If for the same money and you are right, then I suppose I will build that instead of a 1W for the first one, then as soon as funds allow I will get the 1W 445 for burning. Please let me know and thanks. I hope this is true.

dave

Things

These diodes are technically no different in wavelength, being only 5nm more than 445nm. However 445nm diodes have been known to have a fair bit of wavelength drift between batches - you might be able to get a seller to sell you a "higher binned' wavelength diode, however if they bother sorting them this way, usually they charge a bit extra, or just keep the better diodes to use themselves.

The apparent brightness of the laser will also change how you perceive the colour. The single mode diodes are no less violet than normal 445nm diodes can be, they all vary slightly. They just have a better beam.

Last edited:
(Sorry, I just realized I mistyped '455' where I meant '445'. I've fixed my previous post.)

Just search the forum for 'single mode blue', or 'PL450B' and read the reviews (that's what I did). Here's one of many positive discussions about this diode, from Styropyro's build:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/s...-pl450b-leadlight-host-video-added-82910.html

I had mine running at about 150mW, and I greatly preferred the single-mode beam to my multimode 445 A140 running at 1W+. I don't know if there are any comparison threads offhand that have pictures, but the color for the PL450B was a little darker blue, but it's a much more compact beam, and better dot. Even though it's much less power, it's a more elegant (and still very visible) beam. Plus, as seen from Styro's video, it will also burn. (Though obviously not as well as a 1W). I don't think you will be disappointed.

And honestly, once I built my 3W 9mm 445 build (which burns like a mofo), I rarely fire up my A140 anymore (which was the earlier version of the M140). If it were me, I'd go with the PL450B for the beam, and a 9mm 445 for burning, and skip over the M140 altogether.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. :)

-Andy

Last edited:
The fact your going for "brightness" scares me. To put things in perspective, I played laser tag the other day. The guide laser was pulsed at .95mw max output. After two or three accidental hits in the eyes by some kids, I had a very bad headache and my eyes felt funny. Now imagine literately 1000 times that or so. Pl450 would be better as it's "safer". Still need goggles

Yes, I understand. What I meant to say was "more visible of a beam".
I am looking to burn, yes. But very important for me is the actual beam itself. I was really trying to figure out which of these would be most visible at any given moment:

PL450B at 150mw
1.5W 9mm
1.5W M140

So, if it makes more sense, which should have a more visible beam when looking at the beam at night in the sky?
Again, just curious here and I understand the difference in burning capabilities.

1W5 is definitly going to be more visible than 0W15. But the PL450 is going to look more like a real laser beam than the flat bar from the M140. It also depends on what safety glasses you have. Viewing the PL450 with OD2 glasses will actually appear 10 times brighter than viewing the M140 under OD4. Don't even think about using either without safety glasses, and the M140 will burn a hole right through your eyelid.