Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

An old computer...

Hi! I just upgaded my computer and i got a old DVD drive, is it possable to get the diode (did i spell that right?) out and use it? I think its a red one... i also got a old xbox i dont use i guess i use that to i can, but what will i need to make the diode turn into a laser? not that bothered about it being portable, prefer one in a small box, is there anything else i can get out that computer what might be useful for making lasers outta? Im all new to this

First off if its a dvd-drive (as in DVD reader) its under five mW it doesnt worth to harvest it.

Second, it must be a DVD Burner.. to contain a powerful diode, such some Long open can.

Third, you will see most likely 2 didoe in there, one of them is Infrared (not visible) and is somehow quite dangerous (no blink reflex).. There some guide in the forums that will help you locate wich is the ir and wich one is the red and tips to get it out there without damaging it.

Fourth, have you harvested some nice heatsink from old computer?

I have answered some Q,please now go use the search button. Thanks you alot.
-Greg

Last edited:
The diode in a reading dvd drive and the one out of you xbox will both be low powered
reds, not good for making pointers, however you can use them for practicing extracting
diodes.

EDIT: Ranged beat be

The diode in a reading dvd drive and the one out of you xbox will both be low powered
reds, not good for making pointers, however you can use them for practicing extracting
diodes.

EDIT: Ranged beat be
:crackup: Added and fixed some *** of previous post.. it make some sense now.