Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Amp has too  much power for my speaker

L@z3r

So i ordered a 180watt amplifier. Now i noticed my speaker will only handle around 80 watts max. Is there any thing i can to cut down the power to speaker gets? would a resistor work ?? i just dont want to damage my speakers. Thanks

Re: Amp has too  much power for my speaker

Be patient, you've only been waiting for 40 minutes... You use the volume control to prevent your speakers from being overdriven... ;)

Things

Dont turn the volume all the way up ....

And by 80W max, do you mean 80W RMS or peak?

If its RMS, that means if your speaker briefly gets >80W it will be able to handle it for a short time (Short time being <1 second)

rkcstr

If it starts sounding like crap, then you know you have it up too loud ;)

Seriously, you can hear when a speaker starts distorting due to overdriving it. So if you notice bass starts sounding kind of "flatulent", that means the cone is distorting. But, typically, you want your amp to be rated at least, IF NOT MORE, than the speaker's rating because clipping on the amp can be just as bad or worse than distortion for the speaker. You'll be OK with an overpowered amp, just keep an ear out so you can know where "too loud" is too loud ;)