Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Amazon shipped my batteries USPS

Amazon shipped Li-ion batteries USPS, I thought that wasn't allowed unless they are in the item they will be used in, maybe Amazon is exempt from that regulation. The batteries are four 18650's:

DSCN0093_zpsd972ad24.jpg

There were three items in the box. A box of heat shrink tubing:

DSCN0094_zps2b8144ce.jpg

And a helping hands:

DSCN0095_zps7565595d.jpg

I like the lighted magnifier, it has two bright led's and runs on three AAA batteries:

DSCN0096_zps2fc5c626.jpg

The 18650's are for a new laser I will put together in the next two days now that I have all the parts, a 9mm in a stainless steel host. I'll post a detailed thread in the 445 forum with photos probably sometime this week if everything goes as planned.

Alan

"A nonspillable wet battery containing liquid electrolite is prohibited from mailing unless the battery casing is completely sealed to prevent the liquid corrosive from spilling during handling, as allowed in 348 and DMM 601.10.13. Nonspillable batteries with UN2800 are prohibited in international mail, but they may be sent as domestic mail via air or surface transportation when properly packaged."

"Domestic Mail: Permitted via air transportation (Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, and First–Class Mail) or surface transportation sent as Standard Mail or Standard Post."

Last edited:
^^^^ 'wet' ?? IDT li=ions are wet batteries (like car batteries are)
1 800 ASK USPS-

THE BROCHURE: 'The safety of the Mail is Everyone's Responsibilty-Notice 128 Sept 2012
It states that it is the responsibility of the 'mailer' to do:

RULES and regs are one thing enforcement another.

The Mailer--
"Knowing the physical characteristics of the hazardous materials they wish to mail" ( the old ignorance is no excuse clause)

paraphrased- the mailer must follow the standards of USPS DMM 601.10 & also those for international Mail.

more-- "Ensuring that all Postal Service regs. are followed regarding the packaging,markings, labeling, and declaration of hazardous materials placed in the mail"

and then it gives some sources as this brochure is not nearly big enough to contain all the regs.

The last part shows all the danger stickers- that are required and Class 9- is Misc Haz. materials and that must include lithium batts.

The big poster on the wall of all POs I use has lithium batteries clearly on it as banned items.

I went to the Pearland Tx LightHound store and talked to the manager- they send out and receive(all from China) all their lithium batts by USPS-

all HongKong post or EMS becomes USPS once here-I did notice that all the batts on the shelves at LH were each inside a extremely thing plastic bags and NOT sealed-

The POs I use had no info to add on this -One said none- no how -no way- and the others said as above- ONLY if inside the intended devices- Fine starts at 250$ so cell phone with batt OK batt alone NO-

I see some are offering batteries with a charger only if they will fit inside- is that the intended device?? grey area--

my opinion on that means nothing-

Others have found very cheap plastic boxes to ship them inside - same as the chargers= maybe a loop hole-- maybe not. All the brochures at the PO say no to lithium batts by themselves. I can't say that the 99cent flashlight trick works or if it just never got opened-

IIRC the ban began after those Jumbo Jets (now flying again) got grounded to work on the Lithiums they used. IIRC there are like 93 of them on each jet.

These rules must never be enforced as its near impossible to find a China seller on Fleabay that does NOT use USPS- while I am forced to go with Fed EX and its not as cheap- for $5.15 I can print a small flat rate USPS box label for shipping from my mailbox- you can put up to a max on 70 pounds in one (WTH?)- Even just one batttery with Fed Ex is more than $7usd.
I cant compete with these other sellers-

the irony: if a seller is shipping a laser from China we should NOT ask for batteries to be purchased and sent along--also-& I have suggested that USA laser buyers should ask for any free batteries to NOT be included. ( not missing much --90% of them are crap anyway)BUT once in the USA battery buyers must purchase SOMETHING to ship the battery(s) in like a laser- wth?>

what I do know/

If when asked ( & they ask every time) if the box contains lithium batteries and you are truthful --they will not ship it. and maybe even if they are inside intended devices- so do you lie when asked? Is it worth the risk?

I just heard from a China 26650 seller that an order for 4 pcs 26650 had the packaging AND the contents damaged before reaching the buyer ( USA) and that it was returned to seller- what? if they saw it was damaged how did they NOT see that the batts were lithiums?? AND since Regs ban shipping them HOW the hell were they sent back to China= confusing.

The ebay China seller is trying again and I will let you know if the batts reach the buyer. (not me BTW)
I had a fed ex shipment of batts arrive to my buyer opened and empty-
working now with Fed Ex for a remedy- 16 $ in batts and 8$ in shipping gone. How does an open padded envelope thats empty & open get even put on the truck ?? They said they looked for them and had no luck- AND a Fed EX shipment dropped in a Fed EX(after hours) box was never received- . FED EX is very lucky that I do not have many other options or I would never use them again ever- never--

hak

Last edited:
^^^^ 'wet' ?? IDT li=ions are wet batteries (like car batteries are)
1 800 ASK USPS-

THE BROCHURE: 'The safety of the Mail is Everyone's Responsibilty-Notice 128 Sept 2012
It states that it is the responsibility of the 'mailer' to do:

RULES and regs are one thing enforcement another.

The Mailer--
"Knowing the physical characteristics of the hazardous materials they wish to mail" ( the old ignorance is no excuse clause)

paraphrased- the mailer must follow the standards of USPS DMM 601.10 & also those for international Mail.

more-- "Ensuring that all Postal Service regs. are followed regarding the packaging,markings, labeling, and declaration of hazardous materials placed in the mail"

and then it gives some sources as this brochure is not nearly big enough to contain all the regs.

The last part shows all the danger stickers- that are required and Class 9- is Misc Haz. materials and that must include lithium batts.

The big poster on the wall of all POs I use has lithium batteries clearly on it as banned items.

I went to the Pearland Tx LightHound store and talked to the manager- they send out and receive(all from China) all their lithium batts by USPS-

all HongKong post or EMS becomes USPS once here-I did notice that all the batts on the shelves at LH were each inside a extremely thing plastic bags and NOT sealed-

The POs I use had no info to add on this -One said none- no how -no way- and the others said as above- ONLY if inside the intended devices- Fine starts at 250$ so cell phone with batt OK batt alone NO-

I see some are offering batteries with a charger only if they will fit inside- is that the intended device?? grey area--

my opinion on that means nothing-

Others have found very cheap plastic boxes to ship them inside - same as the chargers= maybe a loop hole-- maybe not. All the brochures at the PO say no to lithium batts by themselves. I can't say that the 99cent flashlight trick works or if it just never got opened-

IIRC the ban began after those Jumbo Jets (now flying again) got grounded to work on the Lithiums they used. IIRC there are like 93 of them on each jet.

These rules must never be enforced as its near impossible to find a China seller on Fleabay that does NOT use USPS- while I am forced to go with Fed EX and its not as cheap- for $5.15 I can print a small flat rate USPS box label for shipping from my mailbox- you can put up to a max on 70 pounds in one (WTH?)- Even just one batttery with Fed Ex is more than $7usd.
I cant compete with these other sellers-

the irony: if a seller is shipping a laser from China we should NOT ask for batteries to be purchased and sent along--also-& I have suggested that USA laser buyers should ask for any free batteries to NOT be included. ( not missing much --90% of them are crap anyway)BUT once in the USA battery buyers must purchase SOMETHING to ship the battery(s) in like a laser- wth?>

what I do know/

If when asked ( & they ask every time) if the box contains lithium batteries and you are truthful --they will not ship it. and maybe even if they are inside intended devices- so do you lie when asked? Is it worth the risk?

I just heard from a China 26650 seller that an order for 4 pcs 26650 had the packaging AND the contents damaged before reaching the buyer ( USA) and that it was returned to seller- what? if they saw it was damaged how did they NOT see that the batts were lithiums?? AND since Regs ban shipping them HOW the hell were they sent back to China= confusing.

The ebay China seller is trying again and I will let you know if the batts reach the buyer. (not me BTW)
I had a fed ex shipment of batts arrive to my buyer opened and empty-
working now with Fed Ex for a remedy- 16 $ in batts and 8$ in shipping gone. How does an open padded envelope thats empty & open get even put on the truck ?? They said they looked for them and had no luck- AND a Fed EX shipment dropped in a Fed EX(after hours) box was never received- . FED EX is very lucky that I do not have many other options or I would never use them again ever- never--

hak
AS per above post
RULES and regs are one thing enforcement another. This sums it up i have had about 2/3 batteries arrive of late the others never arrive and i get my money back.They cant check everything or the mail would take twice as long as it does now.i have tried 3 times to get 26650 batteries into Australia and 3 times no arrival .I suppose they are big batteries relative so that they get picked up.in Australia internal mail goes by truck if they find out its a lithium ion battery and they make big noises about a big fine if you knowingly send by air by signing off that contents are safe.Do they really think people are going to send those type of batteries by ship and wait 10+ weeks ?

Last edited:

NKO29

LOL I sent blaster a few L-Ion batteries via express air mail, they came through just fine :) If anything having them in an appliance is worse then having them by themselves :thinking:

LOL I sent blaster a few L-Ion batteries via express air mail, they came through just fine :) If anything having them in an appliance is worse then having them by themselves :thinking:
This is true but a lot of people are ignorant to the fact they are very dangerous if not packed where they cant possibly short out at all hence the problem.:(

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I've just received my order from Lighthound 2 days ago. The order included 2 li-ion batts., each one was in a small plastic bag, then both were put in a "zip-lock" type bag. These were then mailed in a padded envelope with some GITD o-rings.

BTW- Less than 48hrs from receipt of payment, to my mailbox. Lighthound isn't cheap, but every time I've used them, I've received super service! :)

Things

Every time I see those specific batts, it reminds me of this!

LiPo18650.jpg

Last edited:
WTH is the white powder and the rectangle thing near the front right hand side with the wire on it?

Thats a very small lipo battery, a single unprotected cell, maybe 100mAh or so

Last edited: