Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Am I crazy or is my laser buzzing

When I focus my 445 2.7w on a cardboard box, the spot is making a faint buzzing noise when I get the dog to a pin point. Is this the smoke escaping from the hole rapidly making vibrations or instant evaporation of the material /moisture? What's going on here guys. Any info would be great.

The cardboard can buzz when the laser is using PWM to control its brightness.

This should only happen with low and medium modes, not the highest one.

This is happening on high mode. Does that mean it was poorly assembled? And is there a remedy? Thanks very much. Hope this doesn't qualify as "spoon feeding" lol

Loving the glow rings too btw. Would like to get them on my c11build.

Hmm... is this the Scorcher by Mr. Moe Ron?

I'm not sure about the driver, but some (very rare) drivers do have PWM on high as well. If you swing the laser on a wall, can you see individual dots?

Can you estimate the frequency of the sound?

Don't worry, this isn't spoon feeding, it's a legitimate question. Thanks for the complement. :)

I see the dots at lower power 50%&5 but not high. And yes it's the Moe Ron scorcher. Have to really try to make the noise. It's like a high pitched buzz. Haven't tried to make it on lower power but high power when I sweep the dot over the box it buzzes.

I get a loud snapping sound with my 3W SAIK when focus the beam on a cereal box by tapping the switch real quick for a short pulse. Also makes smoke rings:D

Yeah I think the way the material releases it's gasses from smoke some vibrations are expected. Snapping,, sounds crazy. My noise is like a laser sound effect. A constant high frequency. Should have seen my reaction. I was supposed to loose my eyesight, not my hearing /mind lol

The most likely cause is poor current regulation. You are hearing the switching noise in the driver, usually. But if it's coming from the spot as well, that noise is leaking into the diode and through the beam.