Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Alpha 105 Problem :(

Hi, I recently recived my alpha  ;D. But after a day of using it, there were no more  ;D's.  I dont know if this is such a big problem, but when I first tried it, I put the batterys and saftey features in, and it just worked and was great. But now, whenever I put the batterys in and saftey features (And YES I open the lense shutter  :D) and turn it on, 3 things can happen. 1)Nothing, not even the L.E.D comes on. 2)The L.E.D comes on, but no Laser after the 3 second delay 3)RARE:The laser works fine and comes on after 3 seconds.

Most of the time, the first thing happens for a bit, then it gose onto the second thing. So the L.E.D comes on, then nothing happens after 3 seconds. So I take out the saftey fetures and the batterys and put them all back in again, same thing happens. I do the same thing. Or sometimes I just keep pressing the button. It is un-predictable when the laser come on, and it comes on either in low power (5-20mW) or has a strage scraty circle around the dot, but that normaly goes away fast. If it dose come out in 5-20mW, eventually, (After 3-7 minutes) comes on properly. What do you think is wrong? And shoulld I return it or soming? (I Live in the UK so Im gonna have to pay like £20 just to send it back :() Oh yea, and a possible fix would be nice too  :)

-Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that :'( what is the temp of the laser? Mine does that in extreme cold or when it's a little more than warm to the touch ~90 degrees. There is a warm up on the laser, just leave it on for a minute or so and see what happens. When mines room temp ~60 degrees or so it needs to warm up for a minute and it runs a weird TEM where it only puts out about 100mW then it goes to full power once it reaches about 65-70degrees

I'll make a movie showing this later

BTW: try cleaning the threads on the tail cap and where it contacts and make sure the batteries are contacting the back end, mine did that when it first arrived and I had to pull on the spring lightly and it worked. this was also the case on my DX20. After I cleaned the threads on the DX20 it started working

my alpha dosent have springs on the tail cap  :eek:

Oh yea, and the problems started one moaring in my front room. It wasent that warm, or that cold. The laser was cold to the touch, but it suddenly happend. I took the batterys out, and replaced em with new batterys, and the same thing happend. With Just-Fully-Charged Engergiser 1300mAh batterys,the start-up error it very short-lasting. I cleaned the lense too. Thanks.

Oh yea, and dose your alpha have springs on the tail cap? Mine doesnt!!! Do you think that it broke off or something when it was being made? There isnt any mark were a pring could have been, and my tal cap end just looks like a metal stub.

oh lol, yes, I see them now.

Yes, my laser dose need to warm up to get to full power, normally takes about 2 minutes. In the worst cases, my laser hasent turned on at all. the TEM and mode thing isnt so much of a issue, as it only lasts for like a second. Also, when I put my laser on the table in my front room and hit the sofa, the beam was very large (Fat) and it hade only traveld about 6 meters. Is yours like this?

hashlasersdosei said:
oh lol, yes, I see them now.

Yes, my laser dose need to warm up to get to full power, normally takes about 2 minutes. In the worst cases, my laser hasent turned on at all. the TEM and mode thing isnt so much of a issue, as it only lasts for like a second. Also, when I put my laser on the table in my front room and hit the sofa, the beam was very large (Fat) and it hade only traveld about 6 meters. Is yours like this?
yes mines like that too, at about 7.5 meters the dot is about 15mm or so it's so bright it's hard to tell

oh.. Why dose everyone else get good alpha's, and mine has to be crap! Another problem started today! The saftey pin isnt working correctly! I have to really, and I mean really push the pin down to start the laser, then my hands are full, one pressing the button. If I have got the pin in, and the tail thingy is facing down, I have to bend it away from the laser to make it work. If it facing upwards, I have to bend it toward the laser. It takes all the fun out of it!!!!!!! Plz help! I have hade it for more than 7 days now! Will NOVA still exept a re-fund??

tell them about it, I'm sure they will either give you a refund or fix it

Should be an easy fix, they will send you a new tail cap. It sounds like all your problems are in the tail cap. To verify, put the batteries in but leave out the tail cap. Use a piece of metal or any other conductive material to touch the + on the battery to bare metal on the case of the laser (the threads should work). Make sure it's a good connection (hold it tight!) then try the laser. it should work like a champ.

Sounds like your - connection is bad. Check the continuity of you dongle. Make sure there is no debris or dust in the hole. Clean the threads. stick a small neo magnet in between the batteries to extend the length and get a better contact to the tail switch.

If the power is cut off to the driver for even a millisecond it will reset the 3 sec delay timer. If you don't notice the led flicker from a bad battery connection it is easy to see how you would think the circuitry is acting erratically.

-Tony