Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Almost destroyed green laser pointer repairing.

Hi :) so a friend of mine gave me his semi destroyed little green pointer. Written on it is 50 mw. What he gave me was the battery part. safe and un touched.. And the diode part.......

The focusable lens. alone
The diode stuck in a piece of aluminum .. The driver with it's little golden 3 pins. And the diode with broken pins. The driver has only a spring. I do not know where the other terminals are. I do not know which 3 pins are which. He told me he was trying to pot mod it... But it did not even have a potentiometer. Another fail :(

I was hoping for some help? Like a diagram of a green laser diode.. etc. Also if i can make a driver to make the output higher.. Etc.. The diode is quite large compared to that little RED DIODE you find usually. So i am guessing i can get better output.

Do you have a multimeter with a diode test function? You can check it like a diode and where it turns on with the highest forward voltage are your +and- pins. The red lead being+ and the black lead being- That's how I did it anyway. It was the only way I knew how but im kinda new at this. I read this also.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/meta-topic-pinout-performance-actual-ld-26417.html

Keep in mind that if you turn up the output you will kill the diode or shorten its life drastically. I know I've already done it.

Check out the driver forum for your answers.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
The laser ran out of 2 triple A batteries
So after reading about greenies
I think the laser output is 35 mw. So how much mw would the IR one be. And will it burn? like electrical tape? if then i do not care about it being visible. I will try using the current driver. I have 3 1.2 volts 2450 mah recharge able double A batteries. So i can turn them into a nice battery pack. so in total i get 3.6 volts
The 2 triple a alkaline battery gives like 3.2 volts so 0.4 volts and much more amperage should make the power higher. even by a slight bit. The driver being burnt out? i can make a new one.
The most important thing is the diode though.
If it is enough to burn then it is okay. Also is there a way to make a IR laser visible?

I'm not sure what you mean by the ir one? Do you have two different lasers? If your talking about the strength of the ir the green laser is outputting then your answer is no. It's not strong enough.

I myself don't bother with the IR diodes. I throw them away. I like my eyes too much. Plus I do this because I enjoy the colors the diodes emit. To burn you need a lot more power than what you have.

Last edited:
The pump diode.. The ir turns to green by using some crystals and messing with the light's frequency

I see. That I'm not sure. I don't know how much power loss there is. But I would think a 35 mw green wouldn't have a powerful enough Ir diode to burn anything. But I'm really not sure. Sorry I can't help with that.

Please any more experienced member step in here? i can provide pictures of the driver.. :)