Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AixiZ lens spot size

Using the typical 445 pulled from the Casio and the AiziZ lens or something similar does anyone know how small a spot size is achievable (single lens). Baring that does anyone know a cheap collimation/focus long working distance solution?

I am interested in cutting small holes in kapton.

Welcome to LPF! Ok, now here is the problem. The beam is rectangular and so it is difficult to focus to a "round" spot. However if the kapton you speak of is black, then you will be able to pierce it with a 1W 445 and a proper lens. If the kapton is flammable though, it will of course just burn up. Here is some information on lenses. ...........
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-lens-comparisons-51456.html

Kapton does not burn it just turns to ash. From the limited data I have found the fundamental absorbtion edge might be at around 480nm.

I can cut it with a 50 um pigtailed fiber laser at 830 nm outputting about 0.75W, however the absorption is perhaps 100 times less at this wavelength, meaning the spot size has to be linearly 10x smaller to cut it.

You are just saying the emitter is a rectangle? I guess I would be imagining the emitter in any setup.

If the datasheet is available for the laser diode it would be good to see that.

Is it known if the AixiZ lens is an asphere or just a spherical singlet? The exact shape of the spot isn't important just the area of the spot, can you give any estimate of the area of the smallest spot? I presume this is hard to image given the brightness without some attentuation and a good camera.

without trying to actually get the smallest spot size possible, I've noticed mine around probably about 2mmx0.5mm at the beam waist.

Kapton, if it's yellow, would probably absorb this wavelength quite nicely. You ever try a bluray? Those come in less powerful flavors, and have a smaller emitting area.

Typically a CO2 engraver is used for this task. I was hacking a inkjet printer for the task but I think the control in the paper feed direction isn't good enough.

I may just give up on the idea. If anyone wants a coherent 830 nm pigtailed fiber laser (original spec 750 mW) I don't think I am going to have need for it or the blue laser. (I posted more about this in the buy/sell area).

Last edited: