Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice Wanted: 532nm Pen

I'm thinking about picking up a nice pen-style 532nm laser with good beam specs and pretty good output power... <1.5mm beam diameter, 150mW+ output. I was thinking maybe a Optotronics pen or maybe a build? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks :beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I have the Optotronics 150mW pen, it was my first higher power laser. I would recommend Optotronics for high power 532mW pens.
I've had mine for a year and a half, and it's still outputting around 160mW. It's probably my most used laser, since it's so portable; stick it in your pocket and go!
Optotronics lasers aren't cheap, but in my case, it's been a very well built and dependable little EDC unit. :D

kilter

Laserbtb might be a good choice. THeir hosts are pretty unique and have a lock. It is also able to operate at 150+ mw (I think)

Yea I would go with Optotronics hands down but isn't the host one of those cheapo eBay laser pen hosts? That just gives the "ew" feeling for me... but I do recognize their laser module quality and specs :drool:

EDIT: Also, bowtieguy, do you have any beam specs for your Opto pen? Thanks :beer:

Last edited:
i know you can get a 301 b host in 523nm diode in that mw on a couple of the china sites but will it be any good is a manor for debate.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@hwang21 - Sorry for the delay in responding. Yeah, the Optotronic host is pretty similar to the run of the mill generic hosts. But, I have noticed a couple of things that are a bit different, first, the momentary push button action feels smoother than my other "eBay" pens, also the battery tube threads seem to be higher quality.
Also, and these differences may be due to this being a 532nm DPSS module; this pen is 1/4"-3/8" longer than my others, and it's substantially heavier.

My measurements using a machinists scale, and calipers, show that my units beam diameter is at 1mm or less! :) The beam is very thin, and seems to have good divergance, although I haven't measured it at any distance.

Customer service at Optotronics has always been great also, Jack responds to messages almost immediately.

Last edited:
i know you can get a 301 b host in 523nm diode in that mw on a couple of the china sites but will it be any good is a manor for debate.

those pens are just garbage dont see why anyone that wants a decent laser want that crap.. not like a good green today cost that much either pen style.

Yea I'm looking for some higher quality stuff than an eBay laser :p

Looks like a nice Opto pen will suit my needs. I'll ask Jack if he has any super tight beam lasers around 175mW+ :drool: thanks for all the help guys!

or have a look at laserbtb they have a pen thats highest 150mw, im sure its a bit overspec then that.

I think it would be safe to say Opto's products have higher quality build than laserbtb, based on reviews. I do recognize that laserbtb has some great products for their price though :beer:

Encap

How about a 150+mW JetLasers Ti B 532nm while they are at closeout very low prices?

Is about pen size, the host I am sure you know is excellent quality--very nice small laser--way nicer and more distinctive than any of the pens..

Last edited:
The Ti B looks to be quite a bit bigger than pen size, am I mistaken?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
My Ti-B's are approximately 25.8mm (1.01") in diameter, and 172mm (6.75") long.
Not a lot longer, but almost twice the diameter.

Last edited:

Encap

The Ti B looks to be quite a bit bigger than pen size, am I mistaken?

A little bit but not by much---is a small host--looks bigger in pictures.

Ti B is 10mm longer that Opto pen and the diameter is 25mm vs 13 for the Opto pen--so it is thicker.

Unless you need a pen that fits in a shirt pocket or suit jacket inside pocket with as small a form factor as possible the Ti B is a great small laser and another way to go.

CNI GLP :)

Needle thin beam and perfect stable (for a pen sized host)
''Fixed output beam''.

CKS1URR.jpg

Last edited: