Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice needed

muda

Hi all.

I am new here and kinda nob. Was reading for some time , but finally decided - its time to have one !
I need 1,5- 1,8 w 445nM laser to kill pests in my marine aquarium. I read how successfully laser is used for that purposes on aquarium forums.
First idea was to buy ready made device. More I read here , more I find fun in building one.
What would be your advice guys ? Where should I start ? Soldering and even small machining is not a problem for me. Arduino controlled LED lights are my last finished project if that says something.

P.S. I would like to avoid shipping from USA , as I am located in EU and shipping over pond is usually overcharged.
P.P.S. Sorry if bad English. I try my best.

Sound interesting, are we talking about algae and such. Remember that the glass is reflective with a lot of weird angles you don't want to harm the fishes eyes or anyone around while your lazing your pest.

muda

No we are talking about pest glass anemones - aiptasia.
I have read lot of threads about using laser in aquarium and almost all of them ends discusing safety. So yes I know very well about all dangers already :)

Bets of all is to (buy) build waterproof device. It allows for broader field of usability and better beam angle adjustment for more effective pest killing. That was tested and proved by few aquarists already.

Here is my waterproof PHR build. It not only build burn, but by being in the ultraviolet range would kill bacteria also. I don't have a study or proof it's just I observed that some newer vacuums and even restaurants, and even hairstyle shops use ultraviolet light to curtail surface bacteria.

100_0908.jpg

this unit is in the 120mA to 130ma range and is fully adjustable.

you just have to make sure every once in a while to lube the o-rings and threads. It would stand to reason that it could very possibly harm any thing that has an eye in tha tank so if you were to do something like this be very careful.

100_0910.jpg

100_0911.jpg

Here is the link to my thread http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/405-phr-waterproof-adjustable-43953.html I have rearranged to photos since then so with these pics and the written info it should help out a little I would think.

I think you could zap the jellies then as a experiment de-focus the laser to run over the lid and under the lid components to zap the unseen critters;)

muda

Thanks for posting those pics. Very nice professional looking build. Is beam focusable under water ? Or you focus it dry and then close it for further use ?
Can you point me toward parts that I will need ? I really don't know where is best place to buy all stuff nor do I know what exactly parts I will need...

BTW this is how most unwanted pest looks like.
aiptasia13.jpg

Last edited:

muda

Dont I need 445nm laser that is over 1W for my purpose?
After reading aquarium forums I was sure I need 1 to 2 W blue one.

Seems Im a litle blind already as cant find what parts should I buy. Only price list . :(

Last edited:
Dont I need 445nm laser that is over 1W for my purpose?
After reading aquarium forums I was sure I need 1 to 2 W blue one.

Seems Im a litle blind already as cant find what parts should I buy. Only price list . :(

I'll give you a clue in the 405nm section for any info on a PHR-803 build then do some digging and enjoy.

muda

Thanks.
Do you thing 405 can work for me and what output should be ?
As I already learned 405 has better focusing abilities ?

Last edited: